Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at some various different side by sides for waterfoul hunting(I know some will say that a o/u would work better,but I am a traditionalist in the sence that I like sxs better).The problem is that most of the guns I have been looking at are a bit on the short side for geese,most are 2 3/4 some are 3".I was woundering if cutting the chamber deeper would be a safe option,or should I wait and find a gun that is already 3 1/2 chamber?

G

·
You certainly are out for recoil abuse!!!!!!!It would depend on the make of the SxS for the converstion, to take cheaper imports of today and try it would be insane!Only the higher Quality SxS should be considered, because of the pressures and extra abuse to the action.RON KONTOWSKYACTIONS BY R.A.K.www.deansgunshop.com

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
speaking as a gunsmith, DON'T DO IT!!! the thinnest portion of the barrel is generally right in front of the chamber. also, the 3.5" cigar is loaded to higher pressures than the std 12. you would in effect be shooting proof loads through a gun with a weakened barrel. not a good idea. think where your hand would be on the forend. real close to the weakened spot in the barrel.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
how bout a 3" chamber and take the money you'd spend for the ream job and buy some Hevi-Shot or Federal Tungsten or Kent Impact Tungsten

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I am with 'john wall' and 'jlptexashunter'...Doing what you are thinking is not a good idea and is unnecessary...

3 inch, 12 gauge is more than sufficient for even the largest geese in North America...

I shoot a Springfield (Savage) 511 on waterfowl, and seldom use 3 inch shells...I shoot Kent Fasteel 2 3/4 inch, with 1 1/16 OZ of BB on geese, and never feel undergunned...

If you feel the need, move up to a 3 inch loaded with 1 1/8 oz @ 1560 fps or 1 1/4 oz @ 1425 fps

http://www.kentgamebore.com/public/products/fasteel.asp

Or you can use the Kent Impact 'Tungsten-Polymer Matrix' and perform as well as the 'good old days' of lead...

http://www.kentgamebore.com/public/prod ... erfowl.asp

·
Registered
20,519 Posts
I also agree that shooting 3" shells should be more than enough, but I have to disagree with something John Wall said. The thinnest portion of the barrel is NOT right in front of the chamber. That is the THICKEST portion of the barrel. Did you say you were a gunsmith, John?

·
1,205 Posts
.....initially, this sounds like a very dangerous proposition...the area of highest pressure in a shotgun is in its chamber and chamber forcing cone. Extending the chamber 1/2" or more would seem to risk making this area dangerously thin; not a risk worth taking. There is a way that risks only the firearm (not its owner); do the work and have it re-proofed. Since there is no facility for re-proofing in this country, this step would wind up being very expensive. It is not (however) a step that should be skipped. Any fool with a reamer can lengthen a chamber and no one but a proof house can tell you that the firearm is still safe....."...so, do you feel lucky, punk?....)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.