Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an interesting experience (to me) on a recent trip to my favorite sporting goods store. I was buying some things and when paying the lady at the checkout she noticed my check number was 1983. She made the comment that that was a good year. I replied that I would have to think about it to say it was good year.

I never bring up the military or the Vietnam war, so I don't know why I said it, but I then said it was probably a better year for me than the late 60's and early 70's during the Vietnam war. She then asked if I had been in the military, and what branch. I told her and she turned around and picked up a knife ( in the box thankfully :lol: ), and handed it to me and said, "thank you for your service". It is a very good folding hunting knife. That caught me at a lost for words. I told her that was better than being spit on. I have had people say, "thank you for your service", but I have never had them give me anything. It touched me. It is not the worth of the knife that matters to me. I have a lot of knives. It impressed me that a business would put a little money where their mouth is. That store does a good business so they don't have to do that, but I guess it is good business.

I was telling my son about it, and I probably shouldn't have mentioned it. My son has spent a lot of money in that store. He told me the last time he was in there he called the manager out. The manager asked my son, "what in the hell have I done now." The manager was relieved to know that my son wanted to thank him for what the store did for me.

·
Registered
402 Posts
That's nice to hear.
It's nice to see the vets wearing the Vietnam Vet hats now.
Finally they can take pride in their service and get some attaboys!
Only downside is they all look old. It seems like just yesterday we were
young men!! :)

·
Registered
9,268 Posts
People still write checks?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.