Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20ga,1187 and want to use a T&S shell catcher on it,but the steel doesn't go straight from the top back of the reciever to the top front.It goes straight about halfway then dog legs out about 1/4" for the rest of the way,not letting me put a shell in base first.Ron,can the dogleg be safely ground off till the top is straight all the way.It looks like you can,but I want to be sure be fore I attempt it.THANKS. sj

·
Premium Member
20,446 Posts
I'm not Ron, but I think I know the answer to your question. If you grind off the part of the shell catcher so that you can put shells in base first, what do you think is going to stop the empty shell when it flies out?

Why would you want to load shells base first? Insert the front end of the shell into the loading/ejection port, push it forward slightly until it clears the lip on the shell catcher, then hit the bolt release button to chamber the shell.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ulysses,I wasn't talking about grinding the shell catcher,but the top of the reciever on the gun itself.Its hard to explain without showing you in person,but the top steel part isn't straight.I haven't seen one like this before. sj

·
Premium Member
20,446 Posts
Sjones,

Well that's an even worse idea than grinding off part of the shell catcher. If you screw up the shell catcher, you've lost ten bucks. If you screw up your shotgun, you've lost hundreds of dollars. Grinding off part of the receiver is not something that is easily repaired.

Have you actually shot the gun with the shell catcher in place? Did it work OK? If so, I don't see the problem. If your only problem is that you can't insert the shells base first, the solution is to simply insert them nose first. No offense intended, but am I missing something here? I don't really see a problem. Another alternative is to simply insert the shells into the magazine then pull the bolt back and release the bolt. This will load a shell into the chamber.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've decided not to mess with my new 1187,it was a dumb idea to start with.I would rather go around the skeet field and pick them all up rather than mess up my shotgun.I was just trying to come up with an idea to save them ejecting on to the person next to me in trap or picking them up in skeet. sj

·
Premium Member
20,446 Posts
sj,

You couldn't have used it in skeet even if it would have worked. In skeet, you shoot doubles at stations 1, 2, 6, and 7. With a shell catcher in place, you can only shoot one shot before removing the empty shell stuck in the ejection port.

If you want a simple, inexpensive shell catcher that requires no modification and almost no cost, use a sturdy rubber band. Place the rubber band around the receiver just forward of the operating handle. This will catch your empties, but you are still limited to one shot at a time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.