Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a 332. Fits really well with standard pad, could possibly be 1/4" longer. How well does the standard pad work, and if not very well, what brand and model pad do you suggest? And how hard does this gun kick with 3" shells? I am used to a 12 gauge Franchi with 2 3/4" magnum duck loads, no pad, recoil operated, 6.25 lbs gun weight-should I expect more or less kick? Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
It's a fairly heavy gun, with a pad. The recoil operated action is a much better recoil reducer than most would have you believe, so I'm going to say that the gun will have equal or slightly less recoil than the Franchi. The pad is a fairly easy job, as you can most likely take the measurements of your stock and then look for a pre fit one.

BT

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, BT. Like I said, I don't really mind the recoil too much on the Franchi, because I am hunting. But I would like to shoot the 332 (if I get it) at sporting clays. Not sure I could take the recoil for however many shots that is if it kicks like the Franchi. But a good pad would probably help alot. I know Limbsaver has a bunch of patterns on their site, I'll check that out. Thanks for taking time to provide your feedback, I appreciate it, and have a Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Limbsaver is, IMO the best pad there is. Also, in a heavy gun like the Remington, loads will kick less. If you don't reload, start. You can load loads for a 12 Gauge that kick like a .410 but still break targets like a standard 1 1/8 oz. round. PM me if you're interested.

BT

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
fisnn said:
Thinking about getting a 332. Fits really well with standard pad, could possibly be 1/4" longer. How well does the standard pad work, and if not very well, what brand and model pad do you suggest? And how hard does this gun kick with 3" shells? I am used to a 12 gauge Franchi with 2 3/4" magnum duck loads, no pad, recoil operated, 6.25 lbs gun weight-should I expect more or less kick? Thanks, and Merry Christmas!
I own quite a few late model Remington (alas, no 332 yet) and have not been impressed with their standard, non-trap recoil pads. Consequently, I've had a competent gunsmith custom grind Pachmayer Decelerator pads on my 1100s, 870s, SX1, SKBs, etc. I've also had the LOP increased with spacers on a few of those guns. Overall, I have been very pleased with Pachmayer pads.

Everything else being equal, I would expect most guns to have less recoil than a lightweight, recoil operated field gun. Of course, gun-fit is an important part of the equation too.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I HAVE A 300 IDEAL WHICH WAS BUILT FOR A YEAR AND THE NAME CHANGED TO THE 332. IT IS A 30" AND I USE IT FOR CLAYS. I ADDED A LIMBSAVER AND A MERCURY REDUCER
IN THE STOCK. IT IS NOW BALANCED AND SHOOTS SOFTER THAN MY BUDDYS BERETTA 686 OR BROWNING XS SKEET THAT THEY PAID ALMOST DOUBLE FOR. I ALSO ADDED EXTENDED REMCHOKES AND A HI-VIS SIGHT. IT IS MY FAVORITE GUN
AND CRUSHES CLAYS AS GOOD AS THE HIGH PRICED IMPORTS.
EVEYONE ASKS ME ABOUT IT AND I AM PROUD TO SAY IT IS MADE IN NY STATE US OF A! 6000 PLUS SHOTS WITHOUT A HICCUP.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BT, I used to reload, but I sold my reloader. I don't mind the kick of 1 1/8 ounce loads, they were my favorite loads for hunting everything from woodcock to grouse and pen-raised pheasants. I shot both AA's and STS and always liked them, and when I did reload, that's the shell I used. But it sounds pretty neat to have loads that kick like a 410 and hit like a AA load!
Win, is the Decellerator an adjustable trap/skeet pad or does it work equally well in the field? I might shoot sporting clays some, but mainly want to duck hunt with the 332 if I get it.
Lug, what brand of mercury reducer and extended choke tubes do you use? I really like the 332, it fit me really well, like I said it could have been maybe 1/4" longer, but with hunting clothes on, it ought to be right on the money. I really like the blue receiver, guess I am old fashioned (always like the looks of the old Red Labels) because I would rather have blue or case-hardened, although I the Franchi Veloce and Alcione T are awfully nice looking guns, as are many others. But for ducks and for plain 'ol me, blue is my favorite. I really am struggling with whether to get the 332 or a Browning Silver in MODB. I prefer the looks of the 332, wanted on O/U (especially blued) for a long time, but like the camo and gas operation of the Silver. Tough choice. To make it tougher, I'm looking at it like it may be the last gun I ever buy, and I can't really afford either one! But after 26 years since my last shotgun purchase, and my gun is too open for ducks, I think it's about time to get one.
Thanks guys, and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
It's unblievable. I shoot really hard shot, which is the main factor, I believe, that causes the loads to hit so hard. I can load a box of 12 Gauge shells for anout $2.30 a box. I shoot 17.5 Grs. of Promo powder, a Gray Claybuster wad, Nobelsport primers, and Eagle Magnum shot with a MEC 9000G loader that I bought for $175.

BT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts