Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently purchased a new inline muzzleloader that came with an extremly soft recoil pad that makes the gun a joy to shoot with around 100 grains of pyrodex and a 250 grain sabot. I don't even come close to flinching with it unlike any other muzzleloader I have ever shot

Only one problem...... as much as I love the pad it makes the gun nearly impossible to shoulder in a hurry while wearing my coat and or coveralls because it catches on my clothing like you would not believe

I don't want to replace the pad because it makes the gun comfortable to shoot however I need to be able to sholder it when I need to make a quick aimed shot at a deer

I already noticed wrapping electric tape around the edges of the pad helps however this looks bad and leaves a sticky residue on the rubber which is hard to get off

has anyone ever had a recoil pad like this?
what did you do to fix it?

I posted this in thi big game forum but got no responses so I thiught i'd try here

·
Registered
995 Posts
Wrap the sides of the pad with plastic electrical tape, allowing the edge to go over the back (part that goes against the shoulder) a bit then using a small sizzer, cut small cuts and fold the tape over at the top. This allows it to slide up into your shoulder and yet has enough rubber showing to grip and not slide around. I do this to my Sporting Clays Gun because I slide the gun up. Or you could learn to mount the gun with a sort of Bayonet action, mount up and away from your shoulder, then pull it straight back into the poicket. personnally I like the tape. V/R TonyG

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I don't recall all the details, but it seems to me as if maybe it is Kick-ezz that makes a product a lot like clear fingernail polish to put on the pad for exactly your reason. I think Brownell's is where I saw it? Armor-all? Hmm, wouldn't cost a lot to try!

BP

·
Banned
473 Posts
Using a sanding block, first round off all the sharp edges, putting sort of a quarter round edge on the pad. Then, use the Kick-Eez product designed for this.... it's called slick-eez. Simply follow the directions on the bottle. You can buy it on-line from Gamaleil's Shooter's Supply or from Midway. Slick-eez will most likely be difficult to find locally.

Do not use other products. Armorall might work, but it won't last. Nail polish, depending on the polish, could disolve the pad material.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts