Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I recently purchased a wonderful looking Citori Lightning 12g. Problem is, I dont shoot it well and it does not feel good while shooting. I am lefty, and checked for any cast on or off, none. I seem to be shooting high on all clays. Also, the kick is pretty stiff, and I am not recoil sensitive having shot sxs and ithaca 37s without pads for years.

I am thinking of replacing the Browning Field Recoil Pad (about 1") with a thinner 1/2" bad, maybe a Pachmayr Deacelorator Pad.

Having never replaced a pad before, is it a smith job soley? Would a browning replacement bad go on with no adjustment?

Advice needed and welcomed. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
First, if you are already complaining about recoil, do not switch to a thinner pad. This will not help.

Also, if you are also shooting high, a thinner pad will only make this worse. You will me able to get your head further forward on the stock. The further forward your head is, the higher it is because of the slope of the stock. The higher your head is, the higher the gun will shoot.

If you know how to do the job, you can easily install a pad yourself. If you don't know what you are doing and you don't have the right tools for the job (e.g. griding jig) you can damage the stock. It's one of those things...if you have to ask how to do it, you shouldn't be doing it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to clarify one thing in my original post, the kick is stiff because I am not seating the gun correctly.

I removed the field pad and the gun instantly felt better coming to my shoulder. Now all I see is bead, not the length of rib leading to bead. If my head is higher, then maybe I will be able to float the clays/birds over the bead which is how I prefer my point to be held. I am going to put a .3" pachmayr pad on it, have a gunsmith do it, then see how the gun shoots. If I am erratic with it and have to adjust my holds I will go get a longer rounded edge pad installed. Its just money and I dont want to give up on a beatiful o/u because of feel when shooting.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I replaced the factory pad on my Citori with the Limbsaver Pre-fit pad, and it made a world of difference on the recoil.

The Prefit pad was not an exact perfect fit, but it was very close and you can do it yourself by taking of the old pad and just putting the new one on.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Consider putting a Morgan pad on you lightning. I purchased a white lightning and had a Morgan pad and mid bead put on. The Morgan style pad allows adjustment of pad height thus improving fit. You might want someone who knows about stock fitting to help you. A Morgan if applied directly will add a little length but that suited me just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.