Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this must have been discussed somewhere in this forum, but I don't have time to look everywhere.

What kind of recoil do you like, limb saver or kick-eez? These seem to be the most talked about.

How much do they really work? If they don't have a prefit pad, how hard is it to fit it to your gun?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use Pachmayr Decelerator's. After so many positive things posted about kick-eez, I tested one and found it to be too sticky. I am delighted with the performance and durablilty of the Pachmayrs and would recommend them.
Mike

G

·
It is very hard to fit a pad to a stock. It is a job for a gunsmith or a pretty skilled hobbyest who has already mess up some of his own guns learning.

I like the new tapered Kic-Eze. It is sticky, but that has not been a problem so far and it is very soft and shaped nice. I put it on myself and it was a real chore. The Kick-exe material does not work as well as the Pacymeyer with my techniques.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
My target and waterfowl guns all have a Kick-Eez as they are heavy for a pad but do a great job of distributing recoil. My upland guns have Decelerators as they are lighter and do a great job for this purpose. My wife has them on her guns as they don't change the gun's balance much. I have one Limb Saver and it doesn't seem to be any better or worse than the others. I put it on a field gun as it is a light weight pad like the Pachmyrs. It was a pre-fitted pad and the holes did not line up with the original stock holes, infact the one screw hole lined up in the stock bolt hole. This may have been a case of mismarking and I fitted the pad to a different gun.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Recoil pads help soften felt recoil but just as important in taming recoil is the way your stock dimensions fit your size, shape and shooting style. The correct length of the stock, the angle of the recoil pad relative to the barrel and the height of the comb are all important dimensions for reducing felt recoil.

A good pad can do only so much to soften recoil to the shoulder and next to nothing to reduce pain in the cheek caused by recoil. Here, correct stock dimensions are the key. It is fortunate that all of them can be changed to fit you if they don not fit now.

Something else that can help reduce felt recoil is adding weight to the gun. In the butt stock it's easy; just add shot or a roll of coins in the bolt hole under the recoil pad. Make sure it has no chance to move around, however.

Adding weight in the bolt hole changes the balance of the gun. To return it to the same balance as before, weight has to be added to the barrel or magazine tube.
http://stockfitting.virtualave.net

·
Registered
354 Posts
Anonymous said:
It is very hard to fit a pad to a stock. It is a job for a gunsmith or a pretty skilled hobbyest who has already mess up some of his own guns learning.
I suppose if you have to grind one to fit, or if you're so concerned about LOP that you need to trim your stock, but otherwise I have not found this to be the case.

Limbsaver and some others sell "pre-fit" pads for certain guns. But if you (the original poster) can't be bothered ("don't have time") to look up the already-posted references, I'm afraid I don't have time to re-type everything that's been entered.

-- Sam

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I knew someone would say something about that comment. I actually looked through the forum for about 5 min., but these forums are getting so large now that you could look for hours, even with a fast connection like we have here at work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have pachmayr decelerators on most of my shotguns and really like them, Recently, i put one of the new Hi-Viz pads on my O/U sheet gun and really like it. Real soft and grinds down OK for a soft pad. It is sticky coming out of the package but goes away soon. They are supposed to be the best out there now for lowering felt recoil.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is a search option up above. Just type in "recoil pad" or whatever and you can limit the time you spend that way. Give it a shot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts