Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new/old shotgunner, I've been away from hunting and shooting for 20+ years.

I've read here and elsewhere about the recoil of the Benelli inertia system. To put it in perspective for me, how does that recoil compare with a breech-load gun? I grew up shooting a break-action single-shot twelve, so recoil is nothing new, but how does the Benelli action compare?

·
Registered
502 Posts
dp, first off let me welcome you to SGW the friendliest forum on the www.

Now, not that I am an expert on the topic but I have owned a Benelli Sport II in the past and I now only shoot a Browning XT golden clays or the BT-100 at the trap range and I have to say for precieved recoil the Benelli was by far in my opinion one of the lightest recoiling guns that I have ever shot. The only reson I sold the gun is I got just under what I paid for it and it did not shot high enough for me with out making some serious modifications which I can do on the XT and the BT-100. I did have a problem with light loads in it but I did not own it long enough to really break it in for the lighter 7/8 oz loads that I was shooting at the time.

I'm sure that there or people here in SGW who are alot more intelligent than I and have more experience with the Benelli guns but that is my experience with them. Limited to say the least.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
The difference in felt recoil between a break-open gun and a semi-auto will be significant. I too did not complain when shooting a single shot hammer 12-gauge when I was a kid. That however, cannot be compared to shooting 25 shots, one right after the other on a trap, sporting clays or skeet range and possible doing it three or four times during a morning or afternoon.

Recoil is cumulative and its effects increase during a day's shooting. You are also older, possibly in poorer shape than you were when younger and more subject to injury.

I will not try to define "significant" because is a subjective term. A lot of your reaction to recoil will depends on the number shots you fire per day. I suggest that you try to shoot the two types of guns for a day if possible to get a good basis for comparison.

To further muddy the waters, your gun mount and how well the dimensions of the guns' stocks fit your particular size and shape will also affect felt recoil as will the weight of the guns.

As an aside, a 34" barrel on a break-open trap gun will offer approximately the same length sighting plane as will a 30" barrel on a semi-auto. A longer sighting plane results in smoother swings and more accurate shooting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.