Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and need opinions on a gun that will only be used for trap. I have a painful left elbow so I think I'll wind up with a semi....less aggravating than constantly breaking an o/u to load.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,410 Posts
Quote: "...a gun that will only be used for trap."

Since you asked for a semiautomatic that will only be used for trap, it would be very hard to beat the Remington 1100 Classic Trap. Beautiful guns. Soft shooting. Good resale value. Easy to maintain or replace parts if needed. And they shoot well.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Being a huge Remington fan myself, I couldn't agree more! I agree with Ulysses. The Remington 1100 Classic trap is tough to beat. I've shot Remy's for years, and they have never let me down. You won't be sorry! just my 2cents! 8)

G

·
I CAN'T AGREE MORE WITH THE OTHER GENTS ABOUT THE 1100, I OWN TWO, BOUGHT MY FIRST ONE IN 1977. I HAVE USED IT FOR SKEET/TRAP, UPLAND , AND DEER. I HAVE NEVER HAD A SHELL TO FAIL TO EJECT. I HAVE FIVE DIFFERENT BARRELS I USE AND THEY ALL WORK GOOD. LAST WEEK I SHOOT A BOX OF 7/8 OZ FOR SKEET WITH GOOD RESULTS. I DO RECOMMEND CLEANING THE GUN AFTER EACH USE.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quite a few of the 1100 traps on http://www.gunbroker.com

maybe you could save a buck out there, I have know idea what they go for in the stores.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Looks like I will be the first to disagree then. Not that it isn't a good gun because it is one of the best. I would just look at the Beretta 391 trap and parallel target first. With the new recoil reducer and gel-tek recoil pad it should be a sweet soft shooter.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
go with a Beretta 391 Parallel target they are great guns and you'll be happy you bought it.Remingtons are great but Berettas are far superior.
Berettas seem to chase targets by themselves.

G

·
Either of the two, the Remington 1100 or the Beretta 391 are both good choices. Lots of options in both.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also wanted a Beretta semi-auto for trap. On their website they listed AL391 URIKA TRAP OPTIMA and AL391 URIKA PARALLEL TARGET RL/SL. Which one is best trap only gun. What does the "RL/SL" in the model number mean? Thank you.

·
Registered
173 Posts
strubedog said:
As far as tourney shooters go that shoot autos the 391 owns the market. Must be a reason for that.
I know you don't mean Trap Shoots! or Skeet for that matter. maybe in the game of sporting clays, but that's as far is that goes. Get your facts straight!!! NO other gun manufacturer in the world has won more tournaments then good old Remington Arms Co. That's a fact not an opinion! Do your homework.. Maybe someday Beretta has a chance of getting that title, but not yet!

·
Registered
541 Posts
The best trap only gun would be the trap model. The target is designed for all sporting types. Works quite well for all of them really only giving up the fact it has one barrel, so you can only shoot with one choke at a time. It comes with a set of stock shims that you can use to adjust the stock. One of the shims is a "trap" shim. The RL/SL stands for reduced length/standard length

·
Registered
224 Posts
Good name "jag" :lol:

Get my facts straight, they are straight, if you weren't sure which sport I was referring to then you should ask. Don't Assume.

I will work on finding the links of what the top shooters are shooting in the auto world and will post back.

2 Facts:

Remington is an old favorite so they will have more titles, quality has gone down hill

Beretta hasn't been in the states all that long and is gobbling up market share along with its daughter company Benelli

·
Registered
25 Posts
john305 said:
The best trap only gun would be the trap model. The target is designed for all sporting types. Works quite well for all of them really only giving up the fact it has one barrel, so you can only shoot with one choke at a time. It comes with a set of stock shims that you can use to adjust the stock. One of the shims is a "trap" shim. The RL/SL stands for reduced length/standard length
John305, from what I understood most trap guns have parallel stocks. The Beretta AL391 trap optima has a slightly upward sloping stock while their parallel target optima has parallel stock. The stock shims you were talking about, are they for the trap model or the parallel target model?

·
Registered
541 Posts
First both come with shims to adjust fit. I have been able to shoot both at the trap range. When the parallel target is set up for trap it works just like the trap gun. I wish I could get both of the guys with the Beretta guns there at the same time so I can compare them side by side. I would even settle for a store that has both. I gotta admit I did not give much attention to the stocks them selves but the ribs looked the same on both. looking at the pictures of the two. The drop on the comb of the trap is less than the factory drop on the target. Now looking at my Breretta 2003 catalog the drop of the trap stock is 1.22". The drop of the target stock is 1.50". My guess is they have a shim that brings the drop to only 1.22".

·
Registered
173 Posts
strubedog said:
Good name "jag" :lol:

Get my facts straight, they are straight, if you weren't sure which sport I was referring to then you should ask. Don't Assume.

I will work on finding the links of what the top shooters are shooting in the auto world and will post back.

2 Facts:

Remington is an old favorite so they will have more titles, quality has gone down hill

Beretta hasn't been in the states all that long and is gobbling up market share along with its daughter company Benelli
How we coming with the links "Strubedog"? Oh! by the way your response makes NO SENSE!!!! Just be happy!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I shoot a Remington 110 Trap gun. It's fairly new. I think I have about 6 or 7 rounds with it. I like the gun. I am a recreational trap shooter and immediately began shooting in the 20's.

I am not too too pleased with the quality of construction. Remington is not the same company they were when my father gave me my first 870 in 1965.

Last weekend, and elderly gentleman at my trap club offered to let me use his new Beretta 391. Oh my, what a difference. If anyone out there wants a slightly used Remington 1100 Trap gun, I'm looking to sell. Next stop is Beretta!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Sir;

There are as one would expect a lot of good, well intentioned replies to your question.

But if I may take a little different tac before recommending a specific gun.

You said you were in essence, trying to fit a gun to your pain, This seems to me to be fraught with danger.
I am sure if you have pain in your elbow now, it gets worse at times, and will probably become much worse over time.

All of the guns mentioned and then some are excellent choices and do NOT pooh, pooh the small note on one post concerning the quality of the NEWER models of Rems.

If I were you and wanted to find a gun for any purpose I would first treat my malady, then buy a gun for my purposes. It takes a lot of time to get used to a specific firearm and to become proficient with it. You may be forced to change or even quit if it becomes too uncomfortable due to a constantly changing medical situation.

I know of what I speak as I spent countless dollars and unending, excruciating hours adjusting everything I tried to do with elbows I had damaged severely in my youth during rodeo competition.

I had both elbows rebuilt (finally) and wonder now why I waited so long to have such a simple, successful proceedure completed.
In very few days after the surgeries I was nearly pain free and since have not had to take so much as an aspirin or restructure my plans to accommodate my discomfort.
I have all of my strength and range of movement that I had originally.

Get it fixed before you buy or in time whatever you get will not work at all or become too uncomfortable to continue to enjoy.

Just my thoughts on the matter after been there and done that.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Larance said:
Remington is not the same company they were when my father gave me my first 870 in 1965.
Ontologically, no company is the same now as it was in 1965.

Mudslingingly, nice job digging up a 3.5 year-old thread just to bash Remington.

For the record, I thoroughly enjoy my 1100 Competition which is mechanically sound, performs beautifully and in a very short time has already seen much more trouble-free action than your 1100 Classic Trap.

If you're really into the Remmy-bashing, there is a thread for that on the Remington lovers forum on this board.

Good day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.