Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here is my dilemma. I'm getting older with a left elbow problem. I'm right-handed. I am finding that my reflexes are slower. I have a Superposed 12g 30" with fixed chokes Full/Mod which will be my back up.
I'm looking for a light weight O/U that is less than 7lbs in 12g w/3" chambers with a heel more than 2 1/4" and screw in chokes. I am looking for something that will give me the most quality for the buck. I will be using this gun for upland, trap, skeet, SC and waterfowl hunting. I have never had too much problem with recoil so it should not be an issue.
My wife said it was okay to buy a new gun as long it was under $500 a few months ago. After researching guns and showing her the prices for the quality, She changed her mind and gave me the go ahead for up to $1000.
I do not want to buy a used gun or buy a new one from private party off the internet. I have purchase other items off the internet with various results and some being really bad experiences. I have gone to gun shows and local shooting clubs looking for new and used guns but all the ones I would consider everyone wants too much money/over my budget for ie. Beretta White wing, Onyx, Silver Pigeons and lighter models of Browning.
Here is a list of new guns that I researched and the issues behind them. Most are the less inexpensive ones. I'm finding that the advertised weights of most O/U are different from the actual weight. "Wow" a big difference!!!

Yildiz SPZ ME- Gun is not available in my area
CZ- heavy-straight stock
Spartan- heavy
Stoeger- heavy
Lanber- heavy
BSA-heavy

Does anyone have any opinions/help which direction I should go other than trying to talk my wife into spending more money or buying something different than a O/U.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Talk her into another $600 and go Browning, I have read no bad reviews here on the 680 Verona Sporting, I shot one about 25 rounds and was quite nimble, smashed targets. Oh, advertised at 6 3/4# with a 30" barrel.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Tall order to fill given the price constraint. The only decent gun I can think of that is 12ga is a Miroku MK70, which is 7 lbs, but they are $1400 or so new if you can find an importer. It is essentially a Citori made for the European market.

If the money is a big issue, why not go to an alloy framed autoloader, like a Benelli. They are light up front. I used to watch a one armed guy shoot sporting clays with on. It was the only gun that he could handle due to the light front end.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
I really don't like any of your options.

I have had some very good experiences with buying used guns over the internet. If you can get by it, I would advise a used Beretta or Browning and you should be in real good shape.

Take a look at gunbroker.com and find a seller with a very high A+ rating and you should feel comfortable buying from them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check out the Franchi Alcione Titanium. I have one and it is light, IMO well made and resonably priced. I use it for trap, skeet, and upland game hunting.

I also have a SKB 20 gauge and I feel the Franchi is lighter and easier to carry than the SKB (I also have a Franchi Veloce 20 gauge that is featherlight-almost too light)

I just used the Titanium on my birthday (Dec 15) and got 12 pheasant and a quail. Handled very well (Missed my first two shots-leading the blasted things like ducks I was :oops: ) and carried easily for 5 hours tramping through the cold and wet snow. ( I had an inch and a half on the brim of my cap!) My office staff bought me an afternoon of hunting on a preserve and didn't book any patients on my birthday. Sure is great to have workers that like to keep you happy! :D

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
That looks like a White Lightning to me. I never knew Browning to have a Whitewing, Whitewings are Berettas. Maybe it is a B-gun crossbreed :?:

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Yup, it does indeed appear to be a White Lightning, or as we call them here a " 'shine". Not a bad price either! They go for easialy $100 more here'bouts maybe more!

BP

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would like to spend more money but it is not an option at this time. She already double the money, I cannot expect much more.

I can handle the recoil. I'm just slower than I use to be when I'm out in the field shooting game, [email protected]#% injury. I would like to have several O/Us' for different types of shooting but most of "us" can only afford what we are given (stay within our budget).

This is a new list of guns under consideration
Verona 680
I cannot find one locally

Franchi Alcione Titanium
I found one new for $1069 in a local gun store

Beretta White wing
Not made anymore, cannot find one locally

Beretta White Onyx
Cannot find one locally. The lowest price I could find on the internet is still out of my budget.

Yildiz SPZ ME
Still, waiting on one person to give me info/pics.

I like to touch and feel a sample before buying. It is important that the gun fits me correctly.
I have tried to contact various persons on several different auction sites to get more pictures and/or information but no luck. They either didn't respond or would not give additions pictures. I guess I'm asking for too much....
I would like to stay away from Browning. My brother and I have had some bad experiences with turn around time in recent years. Never was a problem many years ago.

Are there any more gun options that you could recommend or what should I buy off my list of guns? I want to stay with a minium 28" barrels, 3" chamber, and under 7lbs gun.
Thanks
STB

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well I have a Yildiz 20 O/U and really like it, I had my doubts as it's made in Turkey but when I compaired the price, fit, finish and wieght of The Bakail's, CZ's, Mossberg Kann's and the Stoegers. The Yilidiz came out heads and shoulders above them. Some of the CZ guys will probibly jump me on that but the one CZ I looked at was not very impressive. If at all possible go to a Academy and shoulder a Yildiz, I think you will be impressed.

I did have to get a friend actually buy it because Academy will not sell you any gun unless you are from that state.

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
I`d personally in your condition would consider a auto. A benelli with a supersport type stock would probably be it. This is coming from a guy that easily prefers a O/U but has seen the benefits of a light handling/pointing auto gun. Every type gun has its place. Good luck.

·
Banned
473 Posts
I really feel sorry for this guy. He did say his allowance came from his Mom, right? It wasn't really from his wife, was it?

Grow some stones. Make your own decisions. Or, crawl on your belly like a whipped dog.

Who's the boss? Go right out the door.... right now.... and buy a gun, any gun, for about $3,000. Are you a man.... or a mouse?

·
Banned
473 Posts
"Yes dear, I'll bring in the mail and take out the garbage right after I walk the dog and do the laundry".

Sorry guys, I gotta go!

·
Registered
272 Posts
hardnose said:
"Yes dear, I'll bring in the mail and take out the garbage right after I walk the dog and do the laundry".

Sorry guys, I gotta go!
Ain't that just the truth!

Grow some stones. Make your own decisions. Or, crawl on your belly like a whipped dog.
I have some of them stones around somewhere... oh yeah, my wife's got 'em and uses them for ransom quite often!

ShoottheBest,

Might I recommend the Winchester Select Field... I have one: 12ga. 28in barrels... And, it weighs in a 6.8 lbs. It's been a great gun thus far - great to carry, balanced, swift etc.

You should be able to find them for the 1k you're allotted...

onegun

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hardnose said:
I really feel sorry for this guy. It wasn't really from his wife, was it?

Who's the boss? Go right out the door.... right now.... and buy a gun, any gun, for about $3,000. Are you a man.... or a mouse?
Yes, I have been with my wife for more than 25 years. It's 60/40 relationship ever since the beginning. Yes, I could go down a buy whatever I wanted but that is the reason why I'm still Married...
I thought this was a Shotgun Forum.
Still, looking for the right gun for the right price.
Any gun advice?
thanks
STB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts