Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations/experience with any O/U's for under $1000? 12 gauge and will mainly be using it for pheasant hunting and maybe shooting some clays around home for fun. Won't get more than a few boxes of shells ran through it a year. Looking for any pros/cons to different brands in that price range. Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
I seriously can't think of anything I would buy new in that price range. The guns I've had that would fit into it got sold/traded once they returned from getting repaired.

I'd try to find a used Browning or Beretta 26"/28" Field gun, they're usually cheaper being less desirable for Clay Target shooting games. Or a older Miroku made Charles Daly

·
Registered
22,094 Posts
Isn't that much pricier. I was going to say the Yildiz SPZ ME if an Academy store is convenient. Only place you can buy them. Best $450 you will ever spend.

I agree, my SPZ-ME Special has 7,930 rounds through it, no issues at all. It is a 20 Ga, but it shoots great, never so much as a hiccup.

cdb

Reactions: Anthony777

·
Registered
519 Posts
I can think of semi‘s and pump gun’s under $1,000 that I would recommend, but I can’t think of a single o/u.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think the used market is probably the better choice but it won' be much under $1000 Stay with the field grade models. Most likely fixed choke lead only guns.
Miroku made Charles Day was mentioned.
Olin Kodensha Winchester 101.
Verona LX5xx
Maybe Weatherby Orion made by SKB.
Franchi Alcione
CZ over unders

With the rise in new prices, the older Berettas (BL-3 or BL-4 and early 686s) and Browning Citoris have been dragged upwards.
It wasn't that long ago that a Grade 1 12 gauge Belgian Superposed was $900 to $1100. I am not sure if that holds today.

·
Registered
28,400 Posts
Any recommendations/experience with any O/U's for under $1000? 12 gauge and will mainly be using it for pheasant hunting and maybe shooting some clays around home for fun. Won't get more than a few boxes of shells ran through it a year. Looking for any pros/cons to different brands in that price range. Thanks
The Weatherby Orion I is a good choice in your range.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd just keep an eye on all the classified ads and post some WTB ads. I'm sure someone has an old fixed choke o/u that they'd sell you for $1000 or so. I'd rather buy a well-used beretta/browning than something new.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Add a little bit of money to the pot and get a good quality used o/u. My buddy got a lnib Citori grade 1 12 ga with chokes for $1100 a few months ago. There are inexpensive pump and semiautomatic shotguns that function well and will last a lifetime with the shooting you are talking about. However, when you buy the inexpensive o/u's or sxs shotguns, you are usually buying junk. A gunsmith, I know well, is constantly pointing out the low quality of metallurgy technology found in cheap over unders. Most the guns he get's in seem to be of Turkish manufacture. Even some of the better thought of brands seem to have firing pin issues pretty commonly.

Don't buy a Stoeger, they are really junk.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts