Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've been on the forum for a few weeks and have read most of the posts related to which Auto Shotgun to buy, I have decided to purchase a Remington 11-87. Reasons, American made, ease of getting parts and repairs and I just like the way it feels.
I am going to use it for occasional trap, hunting (small game)and maybe Sporting Clays.
My problem is I can't seem to decide what is the best length of barrel to buy. I'm leaning towards a 28". Some guys are telling me you can be suscessful with a 26" at trap but that seems too short to me.
So what do you guys say??? :?:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
You have to remember that while the old addage of longer barrels shooting harder holds merit, the 11/87 is already pretty long.

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
The old addage of longer barrels shooting harder is a bunch of baloney. There may be a SLIGHT increase in velocity with a longer barrel, but it is insignificant for all practical purposes. The main benefit of longer barrels is added weight on the front end of the gun to make for a smoother swing and less chance of stopping your swing on a moving target. A longer barrel also gives a longer sighting plane, although that is not nearly as important as some people think.

With the Remington Light Contour barrels on the 11-87, I would choose the 28" barrel.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would say go with the 28"er. The 26 will be fine if you get a better deal on one somewhere, but I prefer longer barrels for anything other than rabbits and grouse.

·
Registered
215 Posts
hi levi, my choice was decided for me when i got my first shotgun rem 870 it had a 28 in. barrel and so seeing how i got used to it the next shotgun was a 28 in to , now i have 4 rem. shotguns and all have 28 in barrels ,so i guess what i'm really trying to say is stay with the length you are used to shooting all the time, hope this helps you ,errol hunter

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Longer barrels -do- shoot harder, in rifles and shotguns. Due to the enormous volume in a shotgun barrel vs a rifle this isn't so much an advantage in the scatterguns but it's there.

If you can't stop your swing on a target, you need to work on your technique. It -is- possible to swing 32s with authority and not over-swing. Trap shooters do it all the time, esp shooting double trap.

It's also possible to have a gun that's too heavy. Usually some time in the gym + shooting with the heavier gun will result in a more accurate shooter than simply going with a lighter gun right off. Everyone's got their opinion here, and I respect what's been said before. I'm just going by what works for me.

Remember that longer barrels means longer sight plane. I also find that it's more common for longer barrels to pattern particularly well. I'm not talking about going with a 34" gun, esp not in a pump or auto (eep!). However, 30" in a double might be just right. Heavier guns are also easier on the shoulder. Some people think porting a gun reduces velocity. I guess if I follow the theme about longer barrels I'd have to agree. If you port further out, it's less lost velocity.

I bet it's measurable, if not noticable.

G

·
Sorry----longer barrels DO NOT shoot harder----all the velocity you are going to get out of a shotshell is achieved in 20 to 21 inches of barrel length.

The only advantages of a longer barrel is that it smoothes out your swing and gives a longer sighting plane.

All that said----I would go with a 26in barrel---because with the receiver length of a semi makes the overall gun length is just too long with a 28in barrel. Not very handy for anything.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Sorry, I should better quantify. Longer barrels shoot harder to the point where you've burned 100% of your powder. I alluded to this, but in shotguns it's actually fairly short.

I've always felt patterning and sight plane alone were worth it, with weight being an added bonus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.