Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I am not posting in the wrong area or making a duplicate post. This is my first post.

I have been shooting trap since I went to the Southern Grand in Tampa a couple months back. Bought a Beretta 391 Trap and have about 750 rounds through it. I bought a bunch of Noble Sport shells that my club had on sale and am just about out. They don't have any more.

My question is what do most of you recommend I use? I see MANY Winchester AA shells around but they seem to have about 50 versions. I don't know what to use. The Noble Sport shells were alright but I seemed to be the only guy out there using them. Must be a reason. Any advice on what to use and where to get the best deals. Until today I didn't even know you could buy shotshells over the internet. Pretty much sums up my knowledge.

Thanks!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi there,

I think theres a reason you see so many AA shells. Ive never heard anyone say anything bad about thier performance, and I would have to agree. They are clean burning, consistant, and good quality. Quite up to par with the other premium target shells- Remington nitro27/ premier, Federal gold medal.. Try any of these three and I would bet you wouldnt be dissapointed.
As for Winchester, The Win AA heavy or light target load is what would be appropriate for trap shooting. Take your pick of 7/8, 1, or 1 1/8 Oz. loads..

As for cheap shells, say at walmart, I like the Remington "Sport Load" that comes in the 100 pack, mostly because they crimp the best of the cheapies when reloading.

Chad_E

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll stop by Jackson's this weekend and buy a box of each to see which I like best.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the difference - in practical terms between the lighter and heavier loads? I can understand with hunting wanting more or less power or shot size since the conditions can vary. But, since in Trap, the conditions are generally always the same, why the need different loads? Do the larger loads work better if you don't like to lead the target as much (go slower) or do they break the target better?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just recently started shooting trap myself and joined a local gun club. I have noticed that the predominant shell for the club members is the Remington Premier STS or Remington Nitro Gold. I have been shooting the Remington Sport Load 7 1/2s from Wal-Mart (100 to a box for $14.88) and have been consistently breaking between 19 and 22 and getting better each week. These shells seem to perform well and they work well in my Hornady 366 reloader. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
As for heavy and light loads, part of the issue is recoil. If you're gonna go through 500 rounds in a weekend like me, you don't wanna be shooting heavy loads. Damn that hurts!

Less recoil also gives you a better second shot for true pairs (sporting or skeet).

I'd be shooting heavy loads only if I were hunting, where I didn't plan to fire off too many rounds, and if I did fire, I'd want to better guarantee that I kill whatever I shoot at.

The other part of the issue is velocity and patterning. A heavy load can compensate for a loose pattern like Skeet or IC, where you have less pattern density. An edge shot with a light load will most likely pellets at the outer edge of the pattern bounce off of the bird, where a heavier load can still break a bird, even when you hit the bird with the edge of your pattern. Plus, a heavy load goes farther, and carries its velocity for a longer distance. Over that longer distance, heavier loads can hold their pattern longer than light loads.

These are things to "think" about with heavy vs. light. Try out some rounds, and choose what works for you.

Have fun.

G

·
Winchester "AA"s work good and so does the Remington Premier Nitro Sporting Clays but the rem's are very dirty. I prefer #8 shot.

Regular Rems are pretty good to. Regular Winchester universal shells stay in a glob and don't spread out well. In my gun..Your milage may vary.

The guys at my trap range fight over my used rem hulls. LOL

I won't touch Federals since I had 12 of 50 that didn't shoot or had the primers so off center that the pin didn't hit it.

Is Wally Mart carrying Rem shells? I have not been there in a while due to them suspending all gun and ammo sales in Ca.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Tampagator and everyone else welcome to Shotgunworld!

You will find some variation in the shells that are available based on who the range buys from. Some buy from large wholesalers like Gamaliels and typically have one or more of the top three Winchester AA's, Federal Gold Medal, or Remington STS, then there are those that stock Fiochi, Gamebore, B&P, Kent, Kemmen, or any of another couple of dozen small market here but likely well known overseas shells.

Within shells the difference is speed, shot charge, and components. There are restrictions on velocity and shot charge in trap (from the ATA rule book)

3. Any load with a velocity greater than 1290 Fps (Feet Per Second) with maximum shot charge of 1 1/8 ounces (31.89 grams), or 1325 Fps with a maximum shot charge of 1 ounce (28.30 grams), or 1350 Fps with a maximum shot charge of 7/8 ounces (24.80 grams), as measured in any individual shotshell. These velocities are maximum and no individual shotshell shall exceed these limits for the designated shot charge. In
addition, no load containing more than 1 1/8 ounces (31.89 grams) or any shot larger than Number 7.5 (7 ½) can be used.

Restrictions may vary with skeet and sporting clays.

Physics is involved as already mentioned about recoil, the heavier 1-1/8th oz loads require more energy and therefore more powder to push them and with every force there is an equal and opposite reaction, known as recoil. More recoil on those 3 dram eq 1-1/8 vs a 2-1/2 or 2-3/4 dram eq 7/8 or 1oz.

There are about 350 pellets in a 1oz load of 7.5 and 394 in a 1-1/8oz load of the same. If you count out those 40 odd pellets they dont look like much, but it only takes a few of them to break a clay, one if your lucky, 3-5 on a hard edge on. But, what does the pattern look like with those extra pellets? In some guns there are spaces that would more than allow a clay target to pass while in a lighter load the pattern is more full. Although a pattern on paper only gives a 2-dimensional picture of a pattern its about the best thing going other than seeing those targets turn to powder. It's what's used to check turkey, duck, and target loads to give an idea of core density and what kind of spread you are actually getting at known distances and is about optimizing preformance. Tweaking the gun, load, choke to get the most out of it all.

So, what has all that got to do with you picking a shell? Well, consider that some of those bargain shells are priced that way how? They have to cut corners somewhere to load a shell that is 2-4 dollars less than the STS or AA's. For instance, some of the name brand sport loads that will come out around dove season only have 20 shells to the box, others are 7/8 loads at 3 drams, others dont have a wad with a shotcup, just some plastic strips, some use really messy powders. Does this mean the inexpensive shells are all bad? Nope, as also already mentioned those 4 packs that Walmart has for about $15 do just fine for clays, many shooters are using them as it is just as cheap for them to buy those as it is to reload and they are doing just fine breaking clays.

Pick one that is comfortable for you to shoot(both in recoil and cost), that is readily available, and try to stay with it, the velocity of the shell will directly relate to your sight picture and lead and as you are just starting out the fewer the number of changing variables the better time you will have developing consistancy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well said Rick. David here. I've been shooting alot of trap the last couple of months. I'm still D class at the 16 and shooting caps from the 20. What I've learned is that at those ranges, as long as you are reasonably quick at getting on the target, the light loads (1145 fps) will do all you need. Even from the 20, the lead changes so little, that it's just self-abuse to shoot anything heavier/faster. I shoot/reload 1-1/8 oz. at 2-3/4 dr. eq. (1145-1150).

For factory rounds I like Remington STS or Winchester AA. I've tried some of the Gamebore loads, the XLR, and was impressed with the mild report, light recoil, and seemingly great patterns I got from 'em, and best of all, they're inexpensive. The Winchester Universal (1-1/8 oz.) or the Rem. Sportsman Rick mentioned are both pretty good shells. I wouldn't shoot 'em in a registered shoot, but that's just me. I'm trying hard to improve and gain yardage, and I want the best when I shoot registered targets.

Citorixt

·
Registered
80 Posts
Personally, I shoot/reload 12Ga Win AA's at 7/8 oz with duplex loads. With 17 grains of Clays, I'll get 1250 fps with very little recoil. IC or LM chokes give me nice patterning/impact for such a small load.

I swear by Winchester AA's myself.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I recently switched form AAs to the STS and have found the Rem loads to be just as clean.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Find a light load you like a stick with it. Handicap loads are great at 27 yrds but will beat you up shooting them all day long. I shoot 1 oz loads (#7 1/2 or #8 shot) in a AA hull with clays powder and a windjammer wad and everything. Clays , Trap, Skeet and ZZ Birds. I am not handicaped in anyway shooting this load. It also does fine on quail , dove an rabbits as well. I know where it shoots and it will crush targets. I shot some trap a couple of weeks back to practice for ZZ birds and was breaking targets consistantly at 35 yards (8 yrds beyond the 27 yrd line all 5 stands) with 1 ounce loads from a my trap gun. Now at that range the best I can hope for is a broken target, no smoke balls like you see at 16 yards or on the skeet field. The thing you find with cheap loads is cheap components. Soft shot, shot wraps not a shot cup and most times hulls you can't reload. Cheap but can throw a poor pattern. Again find a shell you like and stick with it . Practice Practice Practice. and have FUN.

APEXDUCK

G

·
Yep - Silver Dollar.

I went through two flats of the Nobel shells and they seemed fine. I spent a lot of time cleaning my gun (Beretta AL391). I just seemed to be the only shooter out there with that type of shell. Figured I would see if there was a reason everyone else was using a different shell.

One think I have picked up is that many shooters prefer to reload and the cheap shells are not suited for that purpose. Otherwise, most of the specs are similar. If shooting cheaper shells means I can shoot more shells then I think I am getting the better end of the deal!

This site is really helpful -- thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Had the opportunity to shoot some Noble's 1 oz/#8 1200fps on the trap field. They are pretty nice shooting and with the price of shot hitting high numbers, I can buy these shells for about 57 cents a box more than reloading.

I have also shot the 1oz/#8 1165fps for the skeet field.

Has anyone else shot these. And if Yes, where are you seeing them for sale?

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
I like the Nobel Sport shells when I can get them in 1 oz loads.

One reason they aren't as popular as Remingtons or Winchesters is that they aren't reloadable. Another is that they aren't as widely distributed. You can't find them at Wally-world. Sadly, my source for them has dried up, so I'll have to switch when I use up my current supply.

I also like the Remington Gun Club shells, but I have a hard time finding them in 1 oz loads.

·
Registered
30 Posts
redbeard
You say they are not reloadable.What makes a shell "unreloable" and what happens if you still reloade it ?
I have some Nike/Fiocchi Trap shells; on the the box they tell me not to reload them and and I haven´t tried that.
Regards
C.E.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Unless a hull/base has a proprietary primer (sized) and it can't be bought, I'll bet they can be loaded.

Speaking only for myself, I haven't seen any hull I can't run thru my machine and eventually make it appear as new--it's just with so many good hulls (rem promos) laying around, I find it frivolous to bother with most.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts