Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a skeet load for Winchester AA 2 3/4" hulls. I am currently reloading these hulls using 7.5 lead shot and red dot powder for my trap loads. I would like to use the same hulls and powder for my skeet load. Do I need to use different size shot, wad and powder for skeet?

I'm shooting a Browning 425 over and under for skeet and sporting clays.

·
Registered
968 Posts
No offense but I wonder why you don't have a manual that would answer your questions? :? I strongly recommend you get one, like the Lyman 5th Edition which I have in front of me. 8)

I can only assume you are referring to a 12 gauge, since you did not state any gauge. Nor did you give any information regarding your trap load, it may be OK to use on skeet but I would use #8 or #9 shot. Shot load and wad for your current load are unknown too. They may or may not be useable with another load.

You could use your Red Dot powder (17.grs) with Winchester 209 primers, a WAA12L wad and 7/8oz of shot in the AA hulls and get about 1220fps, per the Lyman manual. There are several other choices with Red Dot, as well as other powders, and that is one big reason you need to obtain and follow a manual. Your health and well-being is another. :oops:

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I concur with the rest of the responses here that the only recommendation you should be getting here is about shot, which should be #8 or #9. I only shoot skeet and #9 is what I use.

There are plenty of loads for Red Dot available so go to the mfgs. site and check it out. 1 oz. of lead is a pretty good general skeet shot weight. You really don't need
1 1/8. The 20 gauge shooters seem to get by just fine with 7/8 oz., so you can even drop down that low if you want to save some money. As far as velocity goes, anything from 1145 to 1200 fps should be fine. No need for more than 1200 fps.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not to sound nasty but why does every one recommend that a person trying to save money reloading go out and spend that type of money on the Lyman 5th Edition, when you can get the same information from the manufacture for just a phone call to get its book or go to their web site and request its book for free.
Pete
Sorry for getting of topic

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Probably because the Lyman manual tells you How To Reload rather than just load data. Questions like that posed by the OP infer a new to reloading status, and being grounded in the basics establishes a strong foundation. It is akin to the chorus to "get a reloading scale" every time a poster asks which bushing one should use.

·
Super Moderator
2,452 Posts
As I think I am only the 2nd person who understood the OP's question, I'll offer this hopefully helpful response. The only change you might want to make to whatever trap load you are currently using would be to go to smaller shot to maintain pattern density with very open chokes. Personally, I just grab some of my 1 oz of 7.5 trap singles loads when I shoot the occasional round of skeet with either Cyl or Skeet chokes, but I'm not very serious obout my skeet.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Actually, I don't think we really know what his Trap load is. Just substituting #8 or #9 shot for his load might not be the only change we could suggest if his load is a 27 yard Handicap load. Further, a 1 oz or even a 7/8 oz load works fine with much less recoil at the typical Skeet engagement distances. Not only does it not beat you up as much, it saves on components as well.

·
Registered
11,204 Posts
For skeet, go with loads of 1 oz. or 7/8 oz. of shot using an appropriate wad. You use red dot powder, so visit the Alliant web site for recommendations, which include the primer, proper wad selection, and grains of powder.

Your shoulder will thank you, and you will break just as many clays.

Sounds as if you are a newbie, so make sure you weigh a few loads to make sure you are dropping the right amount of powder.

BobK

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.