Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a cool old Remington 870. I was passed down to him from family. Unfortunately, someone had filled off the s/n. Is there any way to retrieve it with acid?

·
Premium Member
19,958 Posts
Although I'm not 100% certain of this, I THINK it is highly illegal to own or possess a gun whose serial number has been removed. Of course, many guns were made without serial numbers about 50 years ago and longer and it's OK to own/possess them, but I don't think it's legal to own/possess a gun whose serial number has been removed or altered in some way.

·
Registered
374 Posts
call authorities and maybe they will re-issue you a new serial #

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Don't get it taken away.. if you can't legally get it re-numbered, at least take it apart for spares and destroy the reciever. don't turn it in to the police or bring it by for them to "look" at.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Technology is available to recover these types of removed serial numbers. Serial numbers can be retrieved through a forensic photographic process or through density magnification. When a serial number is stamped, it compresses the metal, creating a denser material area where the number used to be. This is why filing or removing the serial number in ways other than machining out the entire area, doesn't work. If you take it to the authorities there will be a question as to "why" it was removed, "what" you know about it and "how" it came into your possession. Be prepared to lose your weapon. Mike 100 has the best advice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I read somewhere acid can bring back the s/n. I just wanted to see if any experts knew anything more about this method.

·
Premium Member
19,958 Posts
Zimo said:
Thanks for the info. I read somewhere acid can bring back the s/n. I just wanted to see if any experts knew anything more about this method.
An old 870, even if you could restore the serial number, is worth perhaps a couple hundred dollars at most. OTOH, possession of a gun with a serial number that has been filed off is worth perhaps a FELONY conviction. :shock: This would mean never being able to own another firearm of any kind for the rest of your life. It might also mean some time behind bars.

I think it's time to put this situation into perspective. There is very little to be gained (except perhaps to prove that someone stole the gun at some time in the past), but there is a LOT to be lost. I would follow Mike100's advice. Strip the gun to obtain any salvageable parts and destroy the receiver and make sure it can't be traced back to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ulysses said:
Although I'm not 100% certain of this, I THINK it is highly illegal to own or possess a gun whose serial number has been removed. .
No need to THINK anymore. its VERY ILLEGAL to own a gun with the serial #s filed off. There are some over the counter chemicals that can bring up the #s but If I were you I would take the gun apart and use them for spare parts. The gun cant be worth a ton of $$. But there were guns once upon a time that had no serial #s
Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts