Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to refinish the stock and forearm on an 870 for a friend of mine after hunting season. Its his first gun so he wants the original stock on it. His checkering is worn nearly smooth on the gun and I was wondering how hard it would be to recut the checkering. What would I need to cut it with?

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Well, that all depends on your defination of hard and your ability/skill. Might depend too on whether or not the 870 really has cut checkering on it. Many 870s had/have an embossed checkering on them, reverse checkering if you will. To the unknowledgable, combined with some fair amount of wear, it could look like worn almost smooth cut checkering. If that is the case, it's a *****! If indeed it is cut checkering, a Dem-Bart checkering pointing tool is all you need. I've done a fair amount of them over the years. Do not get in a hurry, over runs look like crap. You may want a border tool too. Brownell's is a good place to find this stuff.

BP

·
Registered
262 Posts
Turn the single line cutter so it cuts on the pull. This helps with run overs.

I find it quicker and easiar to remove the Remington impressed stuff and checker it from scratch. But, then I have an electric checkering tool and experience. IF you have some checkering left you can use your single line tool to convert into real checkering. Go slow and let the tool find it's oen way. You can not steer them. Get several cutters and replace htem when they are dull. Dull cutters invite line skips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.