Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know if there is a place or way to recycle spent primers or hulls that are unloadable (yes a drop of candle wax to keep the shot in will only go so far :) )?

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays

Mitchell

·
Registered
574 Posts
This is actually a darn good question. I can't count how many hulls I tossed in the trash either because they are beyond another reload or I just don't want to use them. Not to mention the countless pounds of spent primers I've tossed.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have a half full 8# powder jug of spent primers. If there is a place to recycle them I would like to know also

·
Registered
7,159 Posts

If you don't see something that looks like those on the hulls, trash 'em. (Clue: You won't.)

As for the primers, there's not enough steel in fifty thousand of them to make half a tire rim or net you a dollar at the scrap yard.

Trash 'em. (They'll rust back to the earth in the landfill.)

But here's an alternative: Ship them all FOB to Al Gore.

·
Registered
968 Posts
if you have a wood stove you can burn them hulls. there is one heck of a lot of heat in a five gallon bucket of hulls. this is best done a little at a time not all at once since the plastic smoke can be pretty smelly and sometimes a problem in close neighborhoods. I fill old metal cans of any kind with spent primers and throw those in the metal pile that gets recycled. it probably takes about a hunnert years to save up 50 cents worth, but it keeps the trash man from spilling them in the street and freakin out the neighbors.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
GCBluerock said:
if you have a wood stove you can burn them hulls.
Well, Gregg, I guess you've done it and are alive to tell of it.

Sounds toxic as hell to me...but maybe that just goes up the pipe. (Bet your downwind neighbors really dote on that aroma. :shock: Serves 'em right for being too damned close to you. :lol:)

I don't even get downwind when I'm roasting plastic milk bottles in the burn barrel.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Here's an idea for your old primers...fill the old cloth shot bags full of them, sew the seam shut and you have a great range weight bag, the weight is about right and you can sew two together to weigh down your lead sled...it's now my primer sled!!! Works a lot better than sand and isn't as messy...

·
Registered
968 Posts
Henry you are correct as usual, been there done that. I always get a good bed of coals going strong before I throw in a couple of handfulls of hulls. You cant notice any of the aroma in the house but it is detectable to some extent outside. It does not smell as bad as my neighbors trash barrel burning.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
gunsnrods said:
Here's an idea for your old primers...fill the old cloth shot bags full of them, sew the seam shut and you have a great range weight bag, the weight is about right and you can sew two together to weigh down your lead sled...it's now my primer sled!!! Works a lot better than sand and isn't as messy...
I was going to suggest the same. I guess brilliant minds to think alike :lol:

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Just scatter the spent primers on the lawn or in the flower beds. They will rust away and actually help the soil.

Now, as for vegetable gardens, suit your self! I will pass there, as I have plenty of lawn.

I have seen hulls burned in a shop wood stove and they are HOT! Not sure what might plate out on the chimney walls, though!

Clyde

·
Administrator
23,330 Posts
gunsnrods said:
I sew them into the new style shot bags, about half full and place them in the small buckets at the range to keep them from blowing over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts