Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I have a cz hammer classic and wanted to attach a red dot sight but my local gunsmith told me that they have a hollow rib. And he couldn't get a mount to stay on the gun. anybody out there know what I can do to get a sight on my gun????

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've just got ask. Why would you want a red dot sight on a classic gun like that?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I'm going to bypass the mounting question, because I have no good ideas. I would like to point out that I've had friends who reported poor low light results with red dot sights on handguns while deer hunting. The coated lens needed to see the red dot at our end can limit light transmission from the target end. Added to this is the effect of the bright spot in the field of view may limit the eyes ability to clearly see the target. This was a couple years ago and they were not high end sights. So take this for what it's worth. Just thought I'd pass it along.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Wangman223 said:
hey I have a cz hammer classic and wanted to attach a red dot sight but my local gunsmith told me that they have a hollow rib. And he couldn't get a mount to stay on the gun. anybody out there know what I can do to get a sight on my gun????
I've always preferred a standard brass bead................work just great on any of my shotguns, especially a double barrel (sxs) !
Only reason I can see a red dot is for turkey hunting or slugs and even then only on a pump/autoloader. :mrgreen:

:idea: rather then a red dot................consider a Fiber Optic bead sight??
8)

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
I had a shotgun-rifle combo one time. It actually had a dovetail cut in it for mounting a scope. I tried in vain for several years to get a scope torqued down on it so it would not move. It was a 20 gauge. I can imagine that a turkey load in a 12 gauge SxS is going to put a lot of stress on a mount.

If I really wanted to do it I would try grinding and filing a steel base that would fit between the barrels where I wanted the mount and then glue it down with epoxy and then drill and tap into the added on piece. Maybe an Aluminum base if the sight is fairly light weight. But mostly I would just do it to another gun that is easier to work with.

·
Registered
106 Posts
BakerBB said:
I'm going to bypass the mounting question, because I have no good ideas. I would like to point out that I've had friends who reported poor low light results with red dot sights on handguns while deer hunting. The coated lens needed to see the red dot at our end can limit light transmission from the target end. Added to this is the effect of the bright spot in the field of view may limit the eyes ability to clearly see the target. This was a couple years ago and they were not high end sights. So take this for what it's worth. Just thought I'd pass it along.
I have been using Aimpoint sights for close to 20 years on handguns,rifles and my deer shotgun.
I can first hand report that what you wrote is pure BS.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
whackem_stackem said:
BakerBB said:
I have been using Aimpoint sights for close to 20 years on handguns,rifles and my deer shotgun.
I can first hand report that what you wrote is pure BS.
Don't sugar coat it, how do you really feel about that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wb said:
Wangman223 said:
I've always preferred a standard brass bead................work just great on any of my shotguns, especially a double barrel (sxs) !
Only reason I can see a red dot is for turkey hunting or slugs and even then only on a pump/autoloader. :mrgreen:

:idea: rather then a red dot................consider a Fiber Optic bead sight??
8)
I would just use the brass bead but my gun shoots about 4 inches low. if I knew of a way to fix that I would just use my bead. I heard that if a shotgun is shooting off you can have the barrel bent to adjust your point of impact. but I'm pretty sure that wont work with a sxs though

·
Registered
24,443 Posts
BobK said:
There are MAGNETIC fiber optic sights with red light pipes. And they work fine!
Not at night which is what the OP said he wanted a RD for

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Wangman223 said:
Go over to Gobbler Nation forums. A bunch of guys over there have mounted Burris FF3 on CZ doubles. Poster on there goes by Doc Holliday has a 28ga CZ double with one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts