Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to hear from those of you that have used red dot or Holosight type sighting systems for wing shooting.Most guys use these for turkey or deer hunting, but I'd like to know if anyone has used them for wing shooting.Thank you, Bowhunter57

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Hello Bowhunter,Welcome to Shotgunworld.com!I'm not familiar with Holosights, but I would assume that it would be very impractical to use the Red Dot's for upland hunting. Typically the birds are moving too quickly to find in a Red Dot scope. Also, since the target has an extra dimension from turkey (upland birds would be moving away from you or towards you) even if were able to place the dot it might not be accurate.regards,Jay GentryShotgunworld.com Shotgunworld.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've put a holo sight on an rem 870. It works fine, but is not a crutch to good wingshooting skill.Also, you need to add to the stock in order to get your eye in line with the sight. I accomplished this with a thick leather pad from cabela's.I believe you'd be farther ahead to take the $200 and put it into skeet shooting. I've also used the same setup with a 2-1/2 power scope for deer. This has some real merit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I know two good (AA class) trapshooters who used the holoscopes on their trap guns for less than one season. They shot well with them on targets that were a lot more predictable than gamebirds, but not enough better to be worth the trouble. Both admitted that they could not have used them for hunting purposes.

G

·
bushnell makes one I saw that guy on "bushnells secrets of the hunt" use it. I suggest you give up the gaggets and learn to shoot. I agree with james, put it into skeet or sporting clays, or if your really serious proffesional instruction. if you never see the pros use them then why should the rest of us?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I use a red dot for deer and turkey hunting on my 12 *****.

As for wingshooting since the gun is pointed and not aimed I see no reason in using them for this. Just adds one more layer of something between you and the bird. Keep it simple. Bead sights have been on shotguns since the dawn of time for a reason.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
In fact, I'd take that one step further: if you're focusing on the bead on shot at a flying bird, you're going to miss. Focus on the bird! However, deer and turkey are another matter altogether.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts