Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
According to Winchester, You can use the same recipe on the new two piece hulls as you used on the older one piece units. I have yet to see an occurance of the base wad separating and lodging in the barrel, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. I have noticed a marked tendency for the hulls to deform during the crimping process. This seems to be caused when the wad hangs up on the base wad as you are seating it, causing the shot column to ride to high in the hull. Many of the people that reload at my club have completely stopped reloading Win AA reds because of this. The problem is reduced using the recipe that calls for Win WAA12 wads because of the higher taper on the powder cup of these wads allowing them to seat with less interference with the base wad. I have shifted over to reloading only Remington STS or Nitro hulls just because I don't want to deal with the hassle. Take a look at Winchester's web site for more information on the new hulls.---AFG

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The only hulls that we ever saw a basewad pulled out were the older hulls that had the fiber basewad in them. We never saw a basewad pulled if it wads were spun paper wad or a plastic basewad. The biggest problem with compression one peice hulls are people using wads designed for hulls without the taper. Not only is it a problem during loading, but also pressure spikes. Thw original AA hull was over designed in many ways and did not work well with various game and buckshot loads. As there have been more and more overbore barrels being used, the smaller OP cup on the tapered wads caused some problems. Also....there is a going concern about plastic wads left in the feild and ranges. More and more clubs, shooting & game farms, etc. will be requiring bio-degrde wads....the tapered hull just doesnot work well with stacked wads.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
228 Posts
I havent seen any new AA's basewads come loose yet after four reloadings.
Off topic, watch out for those walmart universals. Had several of them that were hard to eject, and looking inside, I could see that the basewad had moved upwards about an 1/8 inch, although it was still firmly stuck in the hull. I'd say reload them once and toss 'em. Could have been a bad batch I suppose

·
Registered
55 Posts
After 25 years of loading the AA unibody shell I have also switched over to the Remington STS or Nitro shell because of it's unibody construction. I sure wish Winchester would go back to the unibody construction for the AA, but since they have changed I have switched to Remington.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Luckily I have a large stash of old one peice AA hulls that should last me some time. I pick up the new ones that folks let lay and keep them in a different tub. Maybe 10 years now when I finally run out of old AA , Winchester will have re-intoducted the "classic AA" . Reminds me of when Remmington did away with the blue majic hulls, I'm sure they lost a lot of customers as will Winchester with these new hulls. You would think these guys would figure out that they loose business making these big changes. I'm sure it saves them money some how in the production cost but at the cost of customer loyalty. :roll:

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
i am a real cheapskate in that i load cheap (read that free) hulls. the rif--rief-- two piece hulls are not as good as sts, and gold medal, but they are usually free. i load them once and toss them. i recently talked to beretta repair and they told me they are replacing a lot of barrels because of the winchester hs (two piece) hull. call beretta repair, tell them you do not reload and have a bulge in your 391, and they will ask you if you have been shooting the new winchester super sport ammo. duh! i don't load the cheap hulls heavy, or often. but to load a free hull once and toss it makes sense to me. if they got wet i don't use them at all. i will load the new hs hull, but i don' go out of my way to obtain them. our club sells gamebore shells, that use the cheddite hull. it has ballistics similar to the federal paper, and that is a good thing. i load them once, then sadly toss them. they are actually good for about five loadings.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Go back and re-read the post by Chad E. The problem he describes with the Winchester Universal hulls is exactly what others have seen in AA's. That is not surprising, as the Universals are made exactly like the AA's except they have steel heads and different color plastic. The hull walls may be a little thinner on the Universals.

I have never actually seen AA's with basewads that have moved up in the hull, but I have seen photographs of them. That's enough for me. I don't need to see my own gun blown up before I stop reloading AA's.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm new to this site but I've been relaoding for several years now. How often do these basewads pull out? I have been reloading some of the older AA's but havent tried any of the new ones yet, and it sounds like I'm not going to. Someone mentioned lighter loads may help keep the basewad from pulling out. How does that help? I've never seen STS hulls, are they Remington's target shells? Thanks :D

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
Yes, the STS and Nitro are Remingtons top drawer target shells. If you don't want the AAs, let me know, I'll take them. They shoot fine! You guys can worry all you want to. Worry a little for me too, OK? :roll:

BP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.