Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a spare forearm that was replaced when I got my left handed stock. Now, I need to put it back in service. Apparently, when Beretta USA did the work, they removed the 2 forearm washers (the threaded inserts) from the old forearm and used them on the new one. Now I need to buy the two washers and install them.

These inserts are designed with little splines that cut into the wood to keep them secured when screwing the iron on to the forearm. The problem is the previous ones have already cut into the wood and I don't think there is any way that I can fit the new ones exactly in the same position- those splines are tiny.

What do I do? Epoxy or super glue them in or is there a better solution?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
You just have to do your level best to line up the splines. Hopefully the holes have swelled the tiniest bit so the inserts go in with a little bit of resistance. I have a 6mm hex head cap screw and washer I use to pull them in place. Put the forearm iron in then a nice sized washer to protect the iron. Gently pull the insert in place by tightening the screw. This way the insert is pulled in evenly and your good screw doesn't get jacked up.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doug,
Many thanks for the tip. I can hardly see any of the grooves in the wood. I hope the Beretta smith didn't screw up that forearm when he removed them. I have no idea why he did that... it's not like they are a high $ item.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
As the screw begins to bring the washer into place you can spin the washer a little and feel when the splines are lined up. No biggie.

It is scary business taking those out because often times you can pull out a chip of wood with it if you're not careful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.