Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to start reloading and soon and I know the load I want to replicate. --> Win AA 12ga 2 3/4", 1 1/8oz, 3 Dram Eq. 7 1/2 & 8 shot.

Where can I get the free reloading books that are always talked about here?!?!

What powder bushing do I need to use with Allient E3 powder to get this performance? (I want the cleanest buring powder I can get! Also you are supposed to be able to use less and get the same performance.)

What wads?
Primers? I am thinking CCI or Federal - is there a huge difference?

How much differnce does shot (type not size) make?

Any good books on reloading that I can pick up for basics?

·
Administrator
23,246 Posts
spydermn said:
I am going to start reloading and soon and I know the load I want to replicate. --> Win AA 12ga 2 3/4", 1 1/8oz, 3 Dram Eq. 7 1/2 & 8 shot.

What powder bushing do I need to use with Alliant E3 powder to get this performance? (I want the cleanest burning powder I can get! Also you are supposed to be able to use less and get the same performance.)

What wads?
Primers? I am thinking CCI or Federal - is there a huge difference?

How much difference does shot (type not size) make?

Why so hot a load? 1 oz at 1200 works great, less cost and recoil.
Contact the Powder manufactures directly for free books.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=106581

Bushing charts are notorious for being incorrect. Use chart to get close and weigh, adjust bushings by weight not chart. What's the deal with clean powder? You gotta clean the gun anyway. Promo is the cheapest.

Wads= Downrange.
http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/home.php?cat=1336
Primers = NobelSport
http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/home.php?cat=1480
I prefer Lawrence Magnum Shot, Better? There is a general consensus that harder shot is better, good enough for me!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
spydermn said:

Beside direct for Alliant, check out your local gun shop and range. You can also access Alliant's data at their websit:http://www.alliantpowder.com

What powder bushing do I need to use with Allient E3 powder to get this performance?

There is a bushing chart, but you must weigh a bunch of drops to find the bushing that is close enough.
(I want the cleanest buring powder I can get! Also you are supposed to be able to use less and get the same performance.)

Then also check out Hodgdon Clays and TiteWad.

What wads?

I suggest Win WAA12 since you mentioned Win AA.

Primers?

Win 209 since you mentioned Win AA

I am thinking CCI or Federal - is there a huge difference?

There could be with Fed 209A. You should stick with published loads in this case, you are loading at the top end (pressure wise) of Alliant's published loads.

How much differnce does shot (type not size) make?

Extra Hard/Magnum shot will pattern better than soft shot. This if very important when shooting Handicap Trap and far shots in Sporting Clays.

Lyman's Shotshell Reloading Handbook, available at Gamaliel.
Will you be using the 3 Drm Eq loads to shoot American Trap?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
spydermn said:
Winchester hull, white wad, & primer, 20 grains of Winchester Super Target (WST) powder and 1 1/8 oz of shot replicates the factory load as close as you're going to get in feel and performance.

From my personal experience, e3 is too kicky with an 1 1/8 oz 1200 fps load. It works better at 1150 fps and with 1oz and 7/8 oz loads.

~Michael

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am wanting to use the same load for target/hunting. The hot powder and larger load will give me that ability.

Why the clean powder? Why use dirty powder? I clean my gun after every shoot but why inject more filth than needed. I cannot afford to replace my guns so I need them to last as long as possible, in my mind clean = longer useful life.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
spydermn said:
I am wanting to use the same load for target/hunting. The hot powder and larger load will give me that ability.

Why the clean powder? Why use dirty powder? I clean my gun after every shoot but why inject more filth than needed. I cannot afford to replace my guns so I need them to last as long as possible, in my mind clean = longer useful life.
Well, with e3 (one of my favorite target powders) the heaviest load you're going to get is 1 1/8 oz (eq. of a heavy 16 ga. load) at 1200 fps. IMO, limited in it's uses as a hunting load. Most 12 ga. field loads are 1 1/4 oz, at 1220 of 1330 fps.

As for "clean", it's a shotgun. Doesn't matter how dirty the barrel get's during use, it won't effect anything. And clean powders take just as many patches to clean the barrel as dirty powders do. Too much is made of the "clean" aspect of new powders.

~Michael

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know!

I guess what I am looking for is the same FPS in my flield and target load so my leads wont change so much. I know that it will change a little for the 1 1/8 vs 1 1/4 oz load but if I can get the speed the same it will be better for my shooting. Soooo, now knowing what I am looking for what can you guys suggest?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
spydermn said:
Good to know!

I guess what I am looking for is the same FPS in my flield and target load so my leads wont change so much. I know that it will change a little for the 1 1/8 vs 1 1/4 oz load but if I can get the speed the same it will be better for my shooting. Soooo, now knowing what I am looking for what can you guys suggest?
I don't have the link to it anymore, but on Hodgdon's website they used to have chart showing how much the leads changed at position 4 on the skeet field when load velocities changed. IIRC, a 100 fps difference in velocity = a 3 inch change in lead. So small you can't account for it, and there's no need to adjust for it.

My advice would be to come up with a target load that lets you shoot as much as possible, as comfortably as possible, then when hunting comes simply buy factory field loads. IMO, at reasonable distances (out to 40 yards), there won't be a difference in lead that you can account for.

I'm very pleased with e3 for light target loads. I use:

AA Hull
AA grey wad
Win 209 primer
16 grains e3
7/8 oz mag #8

STS Hulll
Claybuster grey wad
Win 209 primer
16 grains e3
7/8 oz mag #8

AA or STS Hull
AA Pink wad (or Green Duster)
Win 209
16 grains e3
1 oz mag #8

AA or STS hull
Winchester white wad (or Blue Duster)
Win 209
16 grains e3
1 1/8 oz mag #7 1/2 or 8

The first three loads are roughly 1200 fps, fourth load should be around 1150 fps. If I want something heavier than these loads, I switch powders (Green Dot, WST, AA Super Handicap).

All of these loads will work on the trap and skeet field, and will break any targets on the few sporting clays courses I've shot.

~Michael

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info I think I am going to try the 3rd formula using AA hulls. How much difference does the Win primer make? I was thinking about CCI or Federal for $ savings.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
spydermn said:
Thanks for the info I think I am going to try the 3rd formula using AA hulls. How much difference does the Win primer make? I was thinking about CCI or Federal for $ savings.
In my area, Winchesters cost less than CCI and Fed. Even if they didn't, that's still the primer I'd use. I've had zero problems with them, and with many of my loads I'm out to replicate factory loads as close as possible, so I use Winchester primer.

There aren't recipes for Win hulls, e3 and Fed/CCI primers. Check with Alliant before switching primers.

~Michael

1 - 10 of 10 Posts