Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a view of a few shells reloaded with the budget lees load all. All 1 oz CB wads. Left to right. Federal paper , fed top gun, sterling, fetter, gun club. Winchester super target.
Really impressed with the fetter crimp. Second is the federal top gun and the sterling. Of course the gun club and and paper feds crimp well. The bargain super target. Welp. Cheap. And mushy. In general the bargain shells. All seem to reload well. Will shoot ‘em 3x each and see how they hold up. Noticed the sterling has the most forgiving primer pocket. Could almost fully seat with thumb pressure. Not sure when it will loosen up. All via cheddite 209s. Not pictured, black herters made in USA cabellas specials. Tried 5/6 of them. They are softer than win super targets. Terrible crimps and prone to crush.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Even using the whack a mole Lee you would be far better served to settle on one hull. You can't willy nilly swap components, nor should you use the same wad in differing hulls.
Please stay safe by using only published load data for shot shells.

I recommend Remington hulls, gun clubs are cheap and available, the hull design is pretty consistent throughout the line. I use gun clubs for 1 oz. loads and use gold medal for 1 1/8 keeps it simple and SAFE.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Oops, edit on the above I use Remington STS for my 1 1/8 oz loads. Gold medal would be a whole nother deal. I think Remington pretty much owns the current clay target shell market. I built a lifetime supply of gun club hulls when Wallyworld bulk packs were Remington. Do keep the Gun club hulls dry, that is their fatal flaw, they will rust with just a touch of moisture.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just a view of a few shells reloaded with the budget lees load all. All 1 oz CB wads. Left to right. Federal paper , fed top gun, sterling, fetter, gun club. Winchester super target.
Really impressed with the fetter crimp. Second is the federal top gun and the sterling. Of course the gun club and and paper feds crimp well. The bargain super target. Welp. Cheap. And mushy. In general the bargain shells. All seem to reload well. Will shoot ‘em 3x each and see how they hold up. Noticed the sterling has the most forgiving primer pocket. Could almost fully seat with thumb pressure. Not sure when it will loosen up. All via cheddite 209s. Not pictured, black herters made in USA cabellas specials. Tried 5/6 of them. They are softer than win super targets. Terrible crimps and prone to crush.
Thanks for sharing your results.

·
Premium Member
9,155 Posts
Even using the whack a mole Lee you would be far better served to settle on one hull. You can't willy nilly swap components, nor should you use the same wad in differing hulls.
Please stay safe by using only published load data for shot shells.

I recommend Remington hulls, gun clubs are cheap and available, the hull design is pretty consistent throughout the line. I use gun clubs for 1 oz. loads and use gold medal for 1 1/8 keeps it simple and SAFE.

I agree that picking a hull and sticking with it is a good idea, just know that Remington hulls aren't available in large quantities in all areas. When I lived in CT, they were tough to come by, as they are here in ND. I find Federal Top Gun hulls to be a lot more available.

·
Registered
168 Posts
None of those look good. The federal paper looks acceptable, can be better. It just takes a little practice to get the feel for a good crimp on the Lee. You are closing the fold, but you need to push a little more to get the top fully into the die so it slightly rolls it, and sets the crimp depth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback. It may be the lees. I can’t get the fold. Lower stack height shows a dish starting to form. Here is a AA new next to one of my fed top guns. If I poured of a few more shot the dish goes deeper , never getting the edge fold , Just watched a bunch of YouTube videos On guys using the load all Seems bargains don’t create nice folds They all were weak ….. get what you pay for I guess The better shells do seem to go back to fold a bit better The cheapies don’t
Light Waste containment Tin Floor Red

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a shot of the 20s top gun. Adapter obviously. The 20g is why I got into reloading for my son with the stiff availability. Notice a fold is a little better seen. Without a dish. This is 2 reloads next to a new , still not a sharp fold but better
Food Light Ingredient Cuisine Wood

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Those crimps look very good for shells done on a Load-All, IMHO. Not easy to get perfect crimps unless you spend way too much time on each and ever shell crimping, looking and recrimping.Do settle on one brand of hull if you can and don't mix tapered with Euro hulls for each load. OBTW, if you drill a 3/8" to 1/2" hole in the corner of top cover of the L.A. you can use it to pour out shot if you flip the L.A. upside down. Holding the cover in place, of course.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those crimps look very good for shells done on a Load-All, IMHO. Not easy to get perfect crimps unless you spend way too much time on each and ever shell crimping, looking and recrimping.Do settle on one brand of hull if you can and don't mix tapered with Euro hulls for each load. OBTW, if you drill a 3/8" to 1/2" hole in the corner of top cover of the L.A. you can use it to pour out shot if you flip the L.A. upside down. Holding the cover in place, of course.
ha. I have the hole in the lid. I use the perfect powder measure now for the drops. No powder mess and no added time. I like the setup

and yes. I got the 6100s and tapered 1100s
Wood Gas Machine Hardwood Camera accessory

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Problem solved on the fold. It seems some material got under the retainer plate that prevented the final stage to fully seat. Took off and reset it. The left shell was recrimped and found its crease. The right shell was the job with the lifted plate. I changed from 20g to 12 g recently. Thanks for the feedback. Stack height was good. The issue was 1mm of crimp was not finishing the job.
Drinkware Purple Cup Cylinder Material property

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Lee Load-All gets some bad press, but they have sold 1,000's and many folks, myself included, really like this inexpensive press. I don't load enough 12 ga to warrant paying for a premium press, especially since this one works just fine for me. It suits its intended purpose just fine. Okay.....it feels a little cheesy and makes some awful sounds in use....but that is okay....as long as it keeps inexpensively loading my 12 ga loads:giggle:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks good, about the thickness of a dime. As you reload the same hull over and over, you may find that the plastic begins to wear from all the crimping and expansion and your crimps may not look as good as before. In that case if the hull is otherwise good, spin it a couple three times at the crimp step, recrimping between rotations, usually that cleans it up and gives you a proper crimp, especially since there is no crimp height adjustment available iin the loadall.

Dished crimps are more bad than domed crimps are less good.
Happy shooting

·
Registered
168 Posts
That looks a lot better, as good as you ever need. It might seem minor, but that little roll helps both feeding, and it provides far more resistance to help ignition. The Lee's are far from perfect, but even though I own MEC and PW presses, I still use the Lee fairly often for testing. It's just so much handier when you don't have to make adjustments. It does just fine, and if you can consistently get crimps like that last picture, you aren't giving up anything to the more expensive presses.

·
Registered
13,274 Posts
Not bad crimps for a Lee Load All.

But if a MEC crimps like that you can tweak the press's and get it perfect.

I started with a Lee Load All that I got brand new from Gander Mountain for $29.99, still got the box. But I have not loaded 12ga. In a long time. I bought a 28 ga. on a whim, bought a MEC 600jr when I found out how much 28ga. shells cost.

Sure the Lee will bake bread. But the MEC will bake bread, slice it, bag it, and put a twist tie on the bag. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts