Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Converted a old Mec 600 single stage to 16 gauge.
Not going to be a hi volume operation but want the option.
Claybuster has 2 types, 1 oz & 7/8 oz.
Have a lot of old 16 ga Remington Express hi brass I want to use instead of burning up new ammo.
Are these hull tapered or straight wall.
Reloading data from CB just says Winchester or Remington SP plastic hulls
Asking which wad ?
Winchester Primer, International Clays powder 7/8 payload
Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
Remington hulls are a slightly smaller diameter than Cheddite, Fio, Federal, Estate, Rio, or modern Winchester models. They tend to be best used similar to older Winchester hulls (I’ll skip the story to keep this brief). I’d use either Claybuster or Remington wads (even old Winchester if you can find them).

Most the Italian made wads are slightly larger and more designed for the other hulls. The Downrange wads (well loved among 16 gauge fans) seem to work okay in both, but can be hard to find as they only do runs on occasion and reloaders tend to stock up.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I use Claybuster or Remington wads in Remington hulls and SG16 in all others. I doubt Remington wads will ever be available again and the very excellent DownRange is out of production and may never come back. Bye the way, I like the Green Remington's the best followed very close by Federal's.

·
Premium Member
9,435 Posts
The Remington SP16 and Claybuster CB0100-16 & CB0078-16 fit the Remington SP hull very well. Those three wads can lead to powder migration in any other currently made hull. There are work arounds but......

The Winchester hull is pretty much a copy of a Cheddite hull or it is a Cheddite hull and those three wads are OK if you are going to use them for target loads. If you are going to use them for hunting loads and they are carried and in and out of the gun a lot, you will get powder migration past the wad. Not good.

For all of the current hulls in 16 gauge including the Remington.......There are 2 Gaulandi lead wads and a steel shot wad, Bascheri & Pellagri has a lead wad, a gas seal and a steel shot wad. Plus numerous card and fiber wads made in the 16 gauge. Hopefully the DR16 by DownRange comes back but I kinda doubt it.

You can buy the wads at Precision Reloading and Ballistics Products.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
If you are going for a 7/8 oz. load, that Claybuster 7/8 oz. wad is a good fit in the Remington hull.
Any other hull won't get filled up.

Jim

·
Registered
322 Posts
I use the WAA 16 and the RemSP16 in the old 16ga. Winchester straight walled hulls.
For my Cheddite green hulls, from ballistic products, they have their wads they can
supply you with. Z16 and Trap commander I believe. If that helps...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I use Claybuster or Remington wads in Remington hulls and SG16 in all others. I doubt Remington wads will ever be available again and the very excellent DownRange is out of production and may never come back. Bye the way, I like the Green Remington's the best followed very close by Federal's.
I have a lot of Remington wads if you are interested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts