Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a taurus judge for self defense and recently purchased a mec jr 600 because ive been told its cheaper to reload than to keep buying .410 for our monthly range trips however, as I was scrolling through a forum post about reloading trying to learn it came to my attention that lead shot and buck shot have completely different reloading specs. I know the lymans 5th edition manual has the specs I need for 2 1/2" in hulls but the problem is I have seen first hand what happens when you screw up chamber pressure on a round and am not sure if the loads in the manual are safe for my judge? if anyone knows the awnser it would be greatly appreciated or if anyone knows any places I could look to get specific load data for the judge.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Well, it shoots 45 colt which is 14000psi right? 410 is only 13000 or 13500 I cant remember which, but definitely less than 14000. You are good with any published .410 data.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Shot vs buck you can load it to the shot wt. For example 1/2 oz of shot you would weigh out the same buck. As for wads thats where you will have to get a little creative.

For 12ga i use a 1-1/2oz wad for my 1-1/8oz buck loads.

·
Super Moderator
7,931 Posts
Shot vs buck you can load it to the shot wt. For example 1/2 oz of shot you would weigh out the same buck. As for wads thats where you will have to get a little creative.

For 12ga i use a 1-1/2oz wad for my 1-1/8oz buck loads.
Are you sure you can get 1/2 oz. of buck in a .410 hull because of the larger diameter. It won't pack as nice as 8's or 9's.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
7,931 Posts
Probably #4 will be the biggest you want to go
I would think you have to be very careful what size you load in a 410 because of the small bore diameter. It could be easy to get 2 pellets jammed across the bore if they were too large.

Steve

·
Registered
967 Posts
I own a taurus judge for self defense and recently purchased a mec jr 600 because ive been told its cheaper to reload than to keep buying .410 for our monthly range trips however, as I was scrolling through a forum post about reloading trying to learn it came to my attention that lead shot and buck shot have completely different reloading specs. I know the lymans 5th edition manual has the specs I need for 2 1/2" in hulls but the problem is I have seen first hand what happens when you screw up chamber pressure on a round and am not sure if the loads in the manual are safe for my judge? if anyone knows the awnser it would be greatly appreciated or if anyone knows any places I could look to get specific load data for the judge.
Your Judge will handle any load in a reloading manual fine. They keep them at SAAMI specs for pressure ceilings. You should have no problems with a modern gun as long as you follow the book.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Larger shot will most likely bridge in the shot tube. You can use the MEC for the other things (deprime/prime, powder, wad, crimp) but may have better luck measuring and pouring the shot into the hull off the press.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts