Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started hunting in California where there is a lot of shotgun only areas. I bought a rifled barrel for my 11-87 and purchased a few boxes of 3" sabot slugs. I didn't realize it would be that expensive for sabot slugs. Is there a system out there that would allow me to reload my own? I do have the press for shot shells. Or is it going to be more trouble than its worth? I will be loading them for deer and pig. Help!!!!!!!!

Grtwhtdeerhntr
NAHC and SCI member

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a mold I bought from Lee to pour my own. They load in a standard shot shell. I'm pretty happy with them so far though as with any weapon there is always room for improvement. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
The tools needed include a folding crimper....One that I've got is a cup that fits into my drill press. You may also find one that is about the same price that is a hand-held crimper. Another factor...the powder that many of the slug recipes have are a powder that is not very universal with other loads. So you're kind of stuck with the whole container of powder for one load.
The biggest thing about reloading slugs is that as for most of the load recipes...the velocity and pressure are rather high. Velocity averages out at around 1320 fps and about 10,500 PSI for the Pressure. I say this because I'd hate to be the one to have messed up on a number or brand in the recipe...not to say that any load that is mis-loaded won't be harmful. It's just the fact that this is one meaty metal that you're trying to get out of the barrel.
On a personal note....I don't reload slugs much. I've probably done a total of 3,500 and that was for harassing the coyotes, cougar,bear and an occational buck. I still have about 1,000 rounds left in my cabinet. Hopefully this will kind of give you an insight on reloading Slugs....Good Luck and Have Fun!!!! Big D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts