Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I load GM hulls my crimp is inverted so I use a 7/8 oz wad for 1oz of shot. It patterns well and the crimp is not inverted any more. Has anybody else tried this.

TOM

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
No I haven't done THAT, but with the Gold Medal hull you do have a bit more capacity and longer available length for components. IF you have a fairly dense powder and a tad short wad you could have a problem like you described. Another reason could be you are seating the wad with TOO much presure squashing it too much giving you too much space between the shot and the top of the shell for a good crimp. BUT if what you are doing works for you, go for it! You didn't say which wad you are using, is it a Federal wad, or a Claybuster or Windjammer or Pattern Control, etc, etc.?

BP

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BP

At this time I am using claybuster wads,rex 2 power,noble sport primers. I tried 1oz win,rem TGT,and used very little pressure (5 lbs) and I am using 19 grains of the rex,I ran it over my corny and it was going a whopping 1050 fps. I made the load for my wife,she didnt like it so I shot the rest of the shells and was real happy with the outcome,so I loaded up some more for me and have been shootin them for about 6 months now.

TOM

G

·
I found the REX powder data from Grafs to be a bit conservative. I couldn't get anywhere near what they were suggesting in thier data with any of the 3 rex numbers I have. I've used REX 1,2,and 3. Mostly I use REX 1 for trap and sporting clays loads. I bumped up the powder charge untill I hit the 1200 fps velocity over my chronograph and have had no problem whatsoever with them. I've been very happy with REX powder in general, but a bit dissapointed that the data is off so far. I had loads that should have been going 1200' that were hard pressed to shoot 1000'. Call me insane if you must, but I do load them a tad over what the Grafs data says and have very good results. I found that with my Gold Medal hulls, and I don't have very many, just a few hundered, I need to use the Federal wannabe by Claybuster. SO3 or something or other. It is a bit longer and sems to be a bit stiffer allowing for a much nicer crimp than when I used the AAs, Claybuster AA wannabes, or Figure 8s or the windjammer wads. They all left too much space between the shot column and the top of the hull to get nice firm/flat crimps. I used the Federal style wad and that got better imediatly. Learning how to adjust shotgun shell loaders for good crimps and using different wads and hulls can be a bit trying to say the least! I'm getting better at it though. I've been wanting to give the new style Gold Medals a try, but I've not found anyplace localy that stocks Federal high end shells. I'm not about to pay the rip-off prices plus shipping and buy them on e-bay. Can't believe what some folks will spend for once fired hulls, especially considering you can get STS and AAs for under a 5 spot per box brand new and ready to shoot. Good luck with your loads, I experiment a lot with different hulls, wads, powder, and primers with my shotgun shells. If you look long enough sooner or later you will find someone who has a "published" load for just about any combination you can reasonably come up with.

BP

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
You didn't say which claybuster wad you were using.... if you try the CB2100-12 (a clone of the Federal 12S0) they should load just fine; maybe a very slight adjustment to get a good crimp.

As was stated, the Federal hulls have more room in them than the AA or STS hulls. Using anything but the Federal wads (12S0 for 1 oz, 12S3 for 1-1/8 oz) or the claybusters clones can be tricky because of the hull volume.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
the guys on this post are definately shooters. with the gm hull, use a bulky powder, and the federal and federal wannabee wads work really well. the gm is my favorite hull, because it loads the closest to the beloved federal paper. the paper bites to load, but patterns better than the others at the same speed, and kicks less to boot.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
TOQUA said:
When I load GM hulls my crimp is inverted so I use a 7/8 oz wad for 1oz of shot. It patterns well and the crimp is not inverted any more. Has anybody else tried this.
I do it all the time if required to get the right column height,
BUT!!!
you only want to substitute similar "types/styles" of wads.
Like, you can substitute the winchester style ,and all it's Claybuster clones. whether it be for 7/8oz 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz to get the right height.
You can substitute the Federal styles,and all the federal CB clones,12S0 12S3 etc. to get the right height.
But DO NOT substitute across styles,
say a Winchester 1 1/8 oz wad for a Federal 1 oz,
that's a NO NO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts