Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mec 8567 grabber. I usually reload fed gold medals, but I have also been collecting a bunch of gunnclub hulls. Since they are steal, do they need to be resized? I'm shooting a browning golden clays. If so, does anyone have recommendations for a sizer? Thanks.

·
Registered
27,074 Posts
Your Grabber should have a collet sizer - does it not?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
USMA36 said:
New to reloading. The manual says yes. Does this mean no additional resizing is necessary?
It means that the collet resizer on the loader will resize it properly as it deprimes the hull. You should be good to go.

·
Registered
27,074 Posts
Yep, good to go, I shoot mine in A400s, never a failure to feed or other problem.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
The only other thing you could buy is a Sizemaster. It's a stand alone machine that only resizes, same as your Grabber does, and is intended for those using a Mec 650 that does not in it's normal operation resize shells. I loan out my Sizemaster to a friend who has a 650 and on occasion has to resize some shells he picks up.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
bladesmith said:
The only other thing you could buy is a Sizemaster. It's a stand alone machine that only resizes, same as your Grabber does, and is intended for those using a Mec 650 that does not in it's normal operation resize shells. I loan out my Sizemaster to a friend who has a 650 and on occasion has to resize some shells he picks up.
I think you mean a Supersizer and not a Sizemaster which is a complete reloading press. But with a Grabber neither would be necessary.

·
Registered
12,908 Posts
I reload lots of gun clubs on my MEC machines and they reload quite well and they will stand up to multiple reloadings. You should have no problem resizing them either.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
USMA36,

Yes, the hulls do need to be resized, and one tweak you may need to make when resizing Gun Clubs vs. Federal Gold Medals is adjust the collet resizer. The steel base on the Gun Club hull will resist resizing more than the brass base found on the Gold Medal hull. As a result many people find they need to 'tighten' the collet resizer. When I first transitioned from STS to Gun Club hulls I found that some of the Gun Clubs hulls would be just a little tight in one of my guns while the STS's fit just fine (FWIW, it was an older Browning Superposed), so I adjusted the collet resizer until it fit and left it at that.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
wrfish said:
I have reloaded several brands of hulls. Gun Clubs in my experience are the best. The new Remington shell " Field and Clays" are even better.
I am a recoil sissy, hence, I load 99% light (7/8 and 3/4 oz.) loads in both 12 and 20 guages for my recreational shooting. Much less frequently, I'll move up to 1 oz for clays (12 ga.) and buy some factory 7/8 oz. for dove hunting.

I have a pretty good supply of quality brass based hulls socked away as I use a 600 Jr. and have found the ring sizer requires enough extra effort for steel based hulls that i prefer to stick with brass whenever possible.

I have seen the new "Field and Clays" on store shelves but have not examined them. They are not yet easy to find in my neck of the woods. Do they have brass bases? If so, perhaps I'll seek them out when I have a need for factory shells so I can keep up my supply of quality brass hulls for reloading.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I load 5-10k a year of Gun Clubs and shoot them in a Citori and BT-99. They are great hulls, hold up well, and cause zero problems. I load them on a 9000, but that is your Grabber with auto rotate on the table. The resizer on a Grabber will handle Gun Clubs very well. But, the collet in the resizer is adjustable, it must be cleaned periodically, it must be lubed periodically, and it must be adjusted correctly. Curly has posted extensive photo guides on cleaning and lubing. The collet should be adjusted to produce hulls at a diameter of 0.806-808. Do all this correctly and you wil have zero problems with Gun Clubs in Citoris.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Grouse Gunner said:
wrfish said:
I have reloaded several brands of hulls. Gun Clubs in my experience are the best. The new Remington shell " Field and Clays" are even better.
Do they have brass bases? If so, perhaps I'll seek them out when I have a need for factory shells so I can keep up my supply of quality brass hulls for reloading.
The "Clay and Field" have Brass-Washed Steel Bases. Primers are the high-end STS type. No Piercing.
Regards , Pete

·
Registered
467 Posts
have a pretty good supply of quality brass based hulls socked away as I use a 600 Jr. and have found the ring sizer requires enough extra effort for steel based hulls that i prefer to stick with brass whenever possible.

Grouse Gunner, polish the ring every once in awhile with a very fine sand paper and add a very thin film of grease, steel shells will be like melted butter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.