Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started watching youtube. Looking at other people reloading shotshells. Noticed MANY a people not following a safe recipe on video. Was like they picked up any hull. No wadding cards making slugs for example. Crimps looked like total garbage, not closing at all. Shot dribbling out. Recipe components not filling the hull. Guess that's what ER rooms are for??

· Registered
28,086 Posts
Started watching youtube. Looking at other people reloading shotshells. Noticed MANY a people not following a safe recipe on video. Was like they picked up any hull. No wadding cards making slugs for example. Crimps looked like total garbage, not closing at all. Shot dribbling out. Recipe components not filling the hull. Guess that's what ER rooms are for??
Several decades ago, there was an eccentric gent (OSS in WWII) and he shot very expensive guns like H&H, Purdey, et al. Drove a Cadillac and yet, came to the club with a Tide detergent box with his loads inside. Those consisted of ANY hull with his powder and wad and if the stack height wasn't right, he used toilet paper to make it fit. There was nothing as funny as watching him shooting skeet with a high end H&H and toilet graffiti coming out of the barrels.......................

· Registered
5,977 Posts
There are Darwin Awards for a reason. It's to reward people like those reloaders in the videos.

· Registered
891 Posts
I like YouTube for many reasons but I have seen some absolute fools on there. I'm amazed at the following some have, when they do not know what they are doing.

· Registered
28,086 Posts
Reactions: Debradwright

· Registered
973 Posts
Several decades ago, there was an eccentric gent (OSS in WWII) and he shot very expensive guns like H&H, Purdey, et al. Drove a Cadillac and yet, came to the club with a Tide detergent box with his loads inside. Those consisted of ANY hull with his powder and wad and if the stack height wasn't right, he used toilet paper to make it fit. There was nothing as funny as watching him shooting skeet with a high end H&H and toilet graffiti coming out of the barrels.......................
I think he belonged to my club too! Either that or every club has one. lol

· Registered
811 Posts
Back in the late 60's, Dad and I would pick up whatever hulls we found on dove hunts--all paper hulls--and then sort them and come up with some combination of fiber wads to fill up the shell; we were shooting Red Dot or Green Dot. I suppose what saved us is that all the loads were 'way below pressure limits, so what happened with a bad combination was that our A-5's would not cycle, or worst case would be a "poof" and you could see the shot feebly fly a few feet. Because there were no plastic wads yet, I'm guessing there was not much chance of a wad sticking in the choke; or maybe---since we both had Polychokes with a vented sleeve on the end--we could see such a wad and extract it. The best method in the field being to drop a pocket knife down the barrel, repeat till the wad popped out. It was fun, anyway.

· Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It was funny watching them load up these mystery loads. Everytime, he would attempt a crimp. Then run his fingers over the crimp as to crimp it down further. What a ........ fine citizen. LOL (y)o_O

· Registered
1,032 Posts
Yet EVERY day there are hundreds of "new" reloader's that watch some goof on BoobTube and think that because it's on a channel that they know what their doing and just copy whatever they see being done.

I'm in agreement with @Jet Setter , there are people that I WILL NOT shoot with because of their reloading habits and the result of their shells.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts