Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello y’all I am new to this form I have a question
I have a CZ semi automatic shotgun and win at the trap club or sporting clay event. It will not cycle shotgun shells that shoot slower than 1350 fts.
I have been buying the Winchester super dive load that shoots 1350 but they are getting hard to fine.
I am thinking to start and reloading some shotshells, but I need help on what primer what brand of powder how much powder and what shot to use to get 1350+ to 1400 feet per second?
I would like to keep using 6 or 7 1/2 shot if possible
Please help
Thanks

· Registered
36 Posts
First and foremost, welcome to the forum. A few things to help ease you into reloading: Get yourself a Lyman Shotshell reloading manual. I think it’s currently on edition 5. Read it front to back, it’s full of knowledge and you’ll be able to build off of that foundation. We can give you recommendations and whatnot, but with the shortages and stock available, it would be pointless to tell you what to purchase if it’s not available. If you have local gun shops, visit or call them to look for primer and shotgun powders, don’t buy anything yet. You’ll need some good recipes to follow and then you can buy components. you’ll want to start saving hulls. I would start collecting other people’s, or even call some local ranges and see if they’ll save some for you, or let you dumpster dive for them You can always start buying brand new with hulls, buy why purchase when they are free? i know this isn’t the answer you’re looking for, but it won’t be easy. It’ll take some planning and saving and research before you actual get loading. Someone might even come along to tell you how to fix your gun so that it accepts 1150fps loads lol. Welcome to the forum and best of luck.

· Registered
28,068 Posts
If all you are shooting are trap and sporting skip using #6; max is 7.5. That aside, did you give it a good cleaning when you first bought it? If not, there might be some preservative gunk interfering with its operation

Reactions: v35

· Premium Member
568 Posts
There is a lot to take in to get you started. Longshot powder will give you loads at 11/8 oz with plenty of speed, like 1400 fps. You should become familiar with the online Hodgdon reloading data. Longshot is also quite available compared to other powders. You can also order powder on the Hodgdon website but I am pretty sure other mainstream websites also have Longshot.
Powder Valley, Grafs, Precision Reloading, Mid South Shooting Supply, Brownells, Midwayusa, Recobs, and others.

However, Trap does have rules and the max speed for 1 1/8 oz is 1290fps. Someone already mentioned 7.5 being the biggest shot size. That may not be a big deal if you are just shooting informally but you might get kicked off a range if your loads are too hot.

Cheddite primers are pretty available at the same sites that have powder. You will also need a press and an accurate scale that measures in grains. Lyman pocket scale will do the job along with many others. I now use a Noname I found on Amazon for about $16.

Look at the MEC 600 Jr. press. Should be under $300 new.
Data here Hodgdon Landing | Hodgdon

· Registered
7,225 Posts
You have the wrong gun for shotgun sports. Unless you need the gun for hunting, you will be much better served by selling or trading your gun for a target gun. That, or keep it for hunting, and shop for another gun. The gun ends up being the cheapest part of shooting clay targets. I shoot 1000 shells a month at targets. At today’s prices, that is $600 a month, just for targets and shells.

· Registered
1,100 Posts
You have the wrong gun for shotgun sports. Unless you need the gun for hunting, you will be much better served by selling or trading your gun for a target gun. That, or keep it for hunting, and shop for another gun. The gun ends up being the cheapest part of shooting clay targets. I shoot 1000 shells a month at targets. At today’s prices, that is $600 a month, just for targets and shells.
Wow! That's cheap!

· Registered
1,100 Posts
Model CZ712 in a 3 1/2 shell
You are shooting a 3-1/2 shells in a cz 712? That doesnt sound right. I didn't realize CZ sold a semi-auto that takes 3-1/2 shells

Now... for lighter target loads, don't you have a different piston to put in that gun? It is supposed to allow the target loads.

I have Tristar G2 semi-auto and it took 100 rounds or so to fully break in and loosen up. Keep shooting the heavy loads until it can cycle the lighter ones.

· Registered
7,225 Posts
You are shooting a 3-1/2 shells in a cz 712? That doesnt sound right. I didn't realize CZ sold a semi-auto that takes 3-1/2 shells
Good catch. Something sounds off with this whole situation. Hopefully he has misidentified the gun. I don’t think he is shooting 3 1/2” shells in it. He is using fast dove loads.

· Registered
28,068 Posts
Good catch. Something sounds off with this whole situation. Hopefully he has misidentified the gun. I don’t think he is shooting 3 1/2” shells in it. He is using fast dove loads.
BUT if it is indeed set up for 3.5" shells, it might have issues running slow target loads. That said, my wife's green Xplot Unico Beretta (3.5" gun) will run my 3/4oz reloads running 1275 all day long

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My bad it is a CZ 712 Magnum

Now... for lighter target loads, don't you have a different piston to put in that gun? It is supposed to allow the target loads.

I have Tristar G2 semi-auto and it took 100 rounds or so to fully break in and loosen up. Keep shooting the heavy loads until it can cycle the lighter ones.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BUT if it is indeed set up for 3.5" shells, it might have issues running slow target loads. That said, my wife's green Xplot Unico Beretta (3.5" gun) will run my 3/4oz reloads running 1275 all day long
I can run the Winchesters 1325fps for about 50 rounds and then my gun starts hanging up shells

other people say by different gun but I mainly use this for hunting and I only get to shoot sporting clays maybe four or five times a year like I said it works with the 1325fps and 1350fps but I want to start reloading because they’re getting hard to fine

· Registered
7,225 Posts
Reloading is a fun hobby, but you need to decide if it pencils out for you, for as little as you shoot. Might be better to buy a couple flats of shells when can find them, maybe online.

· Registered
28,068 Posts
I can run the Winchesters 1325fps for about 50 rounds and then my gun starts hanging up shells

other people say by different gun but I mainly use this for hunting and I only get to shoot sporting clays maybe four or five times a year like I said it works with the 1325fps and 1350fps but I want to start reloading because they’re getting hard to fine

From 2006 - they had no issues like you; something does not sound right

Reactions: DEG
1 - 20 of 41 Posts