Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
1,100 Posts
My bad it is a CZ 712 Magnum
Oh... i get it. Does it come with a different gas piston so you can shoot the target loads?
Or maybe it needs time to break in.

I hope you don't shoot your magnum shells on the trap fields or the sporting clays range. Its dangerous.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
There is a lot to take in to get you started. Longshot powder will give you loads at 11/8 oz with plenty of speed, like 1400 fps. You should become familiar with the online Hodgdon reloading data. Longshot is also quite available compared to other powders. You can also order powder on the Hodgdon website but I am pretty sure other mainstream websites also have Longshot.
Powder Valley, Grafs, Precision Reloading, Mid South Shooting Supply, Brownells, Midwayusa, Recobs, and others.

However, Trap does have rules and the max speed for 1 1/8 oz is 1290fps. Someone already mentioned 7.5 being the biggest shot size. That may not be a big deal if you are just shooting informally but you might get kicked off a range if your loads are too hot.

Cheddite primers are pretty available at the same sites that have powder. You will also need a press and an accurate scale that measures in grains. Lyman pocket scale will do the job along with many others. I now use a Noname I found on Amazon for about $16.

Look at the MEC 600 Jr. press. Should be under $300 new.
Data here Hodgdon Landing | Hodgdon
Thanks for the info I just ordered Longshot powder and primers. I already have a reloader and shot. Thanks again.

· Registered
822 Posts
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Either your gun isn't set up right, there's something wrong with it that the factory service place could fix, or it's junk. I'm inclined to believe it's one of the first two. Loading shells to hyper speed just to get it too function is only covering up the symptom. Have you contacted the customer service for this gun?

· Registered
3,403 Posts
I went to the CZ-USA site, and nowhere do they list a Magnum model 712.

The newest iteration uses two different pistons. One for light/medium loads, the other for heavy/magnum loads. See attached

I'd call, not email, CZ and find out if the light load piston will fit your gun. They'll probably send you one.

Attachments

· Registered
431 Posts
Are the Winchester loads you’re shooting now steel shot? I would get some lead shells and see how they do, I’m sure you’ll like shooting them better. Also- if you are loading, there is different data for lead and steel loads so please be sure you are looking at the correct data.

I agree that your gun should shoot lighter shells, there is no need to beat yourself up with heavy loads like you are shooting. Sorry I don’t have any experience with CZ shotguns to help diagnose that problem.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Read the CZ 712 Magnum review that oneounceload linked. Something is wrong with your gun if it won't feed slower shells. Contact CZ USA, they are normally very helpful.
So I just got off the phone with CZ support. They confirmed that the cz712 magnum does not cycle low bass shells so I am lucky that my gun is wore in enough to cycle the 1325 to 1350fps
Thanks for all the information

· Registered
36 Posts
So I just got off the phone with CZ support. They confirmed that the cz712 magnum does not cycle low bass shells so I am lucky that my gun is wore in enough to cycle the 1325 to 1350fps Thanks for all the information
There’s something wrong with this entire discussion. There’s no way a reputable company would tell you your gone does not cycle low brass. Low brass / high brass aren’t technical terms and don’t really mean anything now a days. Second, your gun is chambered 2-3/4, 3, and 3.5. Meaning it can and will shoot all that ammo. There’s no logical reason why you need to be shooting a 3.5” 12 gauge for clays. Feel free to post some pictures of your shotgun and reloading set up if you want serious help.

· Registered
183 Posts
Many, many years ago I purchased a Remington 1100 magnum. Had no idea then the gun was designed to shoot heavy loads ONLY. There was a barrel smith back then that opened another gas port in the barrel and tapped/threaded it for a plug. When using light target loads you had both ports opened and when shooting heavy target loads (hunting) you plugged the second gas port so the proper amount of gas was used for the heavier loads. Don't know who does this these days but it may be a viable option for you to look in to. Good luck and good shooting, Rey

· Registered
132 Posts
It sounds to me like there are issues to be sorted out with your shotgun before setting up to reload for it. Something isn't right if you are having to run that hot of a load to make it cycle.
A lot of true info here but in my opinion, this is the most accurate statement so far. There is no way any properly lubricated and functioning automatic shotgun should fail to cycle 1350 FPS loads. No way. That is pushing the max for 2 3/4 in 12 gauge shells. I would contact CZ and tell them the issue after you've tried cleaning and lubing the gun.

· Registered
1,032 Posts
I have a CZ 712 chambered for 3 inch shells and it runs just fine with 1 ounce Remington Gun Clubs at 1200 fps. It came with 2 pistons, one for Target shells and one for 3 inch Magnums. I suspect that yours has been set up for 3 inch Magnums. I would suggest you call CZ and ask them to send you the light piston for the 712. Based on my experience with CZ customer service they will send one via US Mail and won't even charge you for the postage.

· Registered
2,574 Posts
A lot of true info here but in my opinion, this is the most accurate statement so far. There is no way any properly lubricated and functioning automatic shotgun should fail to cycle 1350 FPS loads. No way. That is pushing the max for 2 3/4 in 12 gauge shells. I would contact CZ and tell them the issue after you've tried cleaning and lubing the gun.
3" Magnum 1100s would have difficulty with light target loads.

So would 1187s with non-target barrels.

· Registered
3,403 Posts
I have a CZ 712 chambered for 3 inch shells and it runs just fine with 1 ounce Remington Gun Clubs at 1200 fps. It came with 2 pistons, one for Target shells and one for 3 inch Magnums. I suspect that yours has been set up for 3 inch Magnums. I would suggest you call CZ and ask them to send you the light piston for the 712. Based on my experience with CZ customer service they will send one via US Mail and won't even charge you for the postage.
I told him that in post #25. Reminded him in post #31. He seems to want to believe the customer service agent that hasn't a clue. :unsure:

21 - 40 of 41 Posts