Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everone I am new to the forum and reloading, I jus bought my first reloader a Mec Steel Master fo 10g, and have been looking for some advice on a load. I will be using this load for 10g as I hunt waterfowl and plan on using #3 steel shot 1 1/4 or 1 3/8s to get the max speed I can get, also want to use Alliant Steel powder rem wads and hulls, I am hoping for 1550 fps but only hoping. Does anyone have a faster load or something I can do to speed them up the the max velocity possible? The gun Is a SP-10
Thank You

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Hey Jason

Glad to see you found the place. It might take a while for a decent rply to this but there a couple guys around here that load non toxic loads.

Tim

·
Registered
273 Posts
You can not use Remington wads for reloading steel shot!!!!

Get yourself a reloading book from RSI, Precision Reloading or Ballistic Products and FOLLOW THE RECIPES. You don't want to go wildcatting steel loads since many are very high pressure. Some guys do but why take a chance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sparkie I will admit I know little about this but Mis-way reloading listed them as steel wads from 1 5/8 to 2 1/4 I do believe you can you tell me why? I assume there not long?

·
Registered
243 Posts
You can get a few 10ga recipes online at:
www.alliantpowder.com
You will notice that the largest 10ga steel load they list is 1 5/8oz. The reason for this is, that is the largest capacity wad available to the public. So, your info from Mis-way, whoever that is, is bogus. Pressures peak very quickly with minor changes in steel loads. A mistake can cost you your life and the very least your gun. An aqaintence of mine, just blewup a gun yesterday. I posted the details under Gun Opinions. He was extreemly lucky to have not been hurt badly.
If you purchase a steel reloading manual, it will give you the basics to follow for safety. Wildcatting steel loads is not a smart practice unless you have the loads pressure tested before shooting them. It's not forgiving like loading lead shot. The steel manual will go over all this plus alot more. Everything that Sparkie said is good, correct advise.
Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts