Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
A shotgun press, which I favor the MEC type...you can get a MEC 600 JR for less than $100...several people have found them on E-Bay for about $50. You will need a shotgun hull, I buy the Remington STS or nitro at Walmart then save them for reloading...they are one of the best shells now days to reload. After that you will need to pick a powder that you are going to use, like Hodgdon, get their powder manual or go to their web site for the recipes. Once you decide from the powder manual what you want to reload then you will need to buy the following components;
Shot...which I buy at the local gun shop or at shows.
primers...same comment as above
Powder...same comment as above
wads...same comment as above
Now it is time to reload, if you bought a used MEC then you can download their manual for free at their web site. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
19,750 Posts
For any reloading, you definitely need a weighing SCALE. Reloading machines often don't throw the weight of shot or powder that the bushing or charge bar says they will throw. The only way to know for sure is to weigh it. You don't need to weigh every load, but you need to weigh enough of them to find out what that particular bushing or setting is throwing. Don't reload without a scale! A simple balance beam scale will work just fine. I like the RCBS 502, but others will work well also. I think they sell for about $40 to $50.

·
Registered
475 Posts
As someone who recently got into reloading, I would suggest that you research your recipes before buying powder, primers and wads. Try to find a combination that you can use for light target loads as well as heavier hunting loads.

For example, I find that Win209 primers, Clays powder and WAA12SL wads give me a good range of loads for AA and Rem hulls. For heavier loads I may need to use a different wad, but otherwise I'm able to buy in bulk and save a little money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts