Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wanted to start reloading shot shells for a more than a few years now and looking at the price of shot I keep wondering if it is worthwhile. I shoot mostly 20 & 28 and recently picked up a little Franchi 720 with short stock fro my wife with the intention of loading up some light weight target loads for her. Can anyone answer the following?

Is i still less expensive to load my own with the price on components

What would be a good reloader to begin with. I have more than enough 28ga AA shells to last me a couple more years.

Michael

·
Registered
492 Posts
THE best price on AA 28's locally is nearly $9 a box. Game loads are even worse.

I'd imagine You could get one of the MEC presses, some clone wads, buy primers and powder in bulk and save money on 28's.
The deal breaker is going to be shot. IF You can access some $30 to $35 a bag shot You'd be fine. But buying it for $50 a bag may put You over the top.

At least You have THE best hulls stockpiled. So thats one less thing to factor in.

FN in MT

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm sure others with more expertise than myself will chime in but in my opionion it is still definately worthwhile to reload for 28 gauge. 20 gauge is less obvious from a pure cost standpoint but it does allow you some flexibility (light loads you mentioned.)

How much you shoot will determine which reloader(s) would be best for you. Personnally I shoot less than 400 shells a month and I have 12, 20 and 28 gauge Mec (650) manual reloaders. I find it is more than adequate for my needs and is a form of relaxation in addition to saving a little money. I reload while listening/watching outdoor shows or sporting events so the time is not a real issue. You can easily reload 5-6 boxes an hour with a manual reloader.

With the 28 gauge empties you already have, you've overcome the biggest hurtle in reloading that gauge.

I don't think you would regret making the move reload your own shells.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
With components at my current cost and shot at $50 a pound I can reload 28 gauge 11/16 ounce loads (works best in AAHS with standard HS wads - and kills clays and quail well) for $4.10 if you include hull cost and $3.73 if you already have hulls. Currently I have to pay right at $9.00 at Wally World for 28 gauge AA's. I don't know about you but that's a savings to me.

I think that even at $50 a pound I just about break even on 12 and 20 gauge comparing to quality loads such as AA's or STS's.

Thankfully I've still got several years of lead inventory bought at $18 - $19 a pound. When it's used up if lead has gone down in price I'll be very happy - if not I'll buy more at whatever the price is. I've only got so many years on this earth and I intend to enjoy them fly fishing, hunting and shooting. I'll give up restaurant meals and steaks long before I quit shooting just because it's expensive.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Michael,

There's plenty of money to be saved in reloading and In your situation, I would certainly go ahead and do so without hesitation. The 28 ga. will save the most for you, and you can reload top quality 20 ga. loads for a tad less than the promotional loads cost.

Also I wouldn't fool with single stage loaders, nor the cheaper progressive 650, but instead go directly to the Grabbers, or even the 9000GN, if the additional cost isn't a huge factor. You will never regret doing so.

Incidently, you can also load 3/4 oz. payloads in 20 ga. that will break targets as well as any 7/8 oz. load, and save on shot as well, while having almost no recoil.

DLM

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
jtclays said:
Mntngoat, Have you ever watched "Dancing With The Stars" or "American Idol, the call backs?" If shot was $70 a bag, it's still gotta be better than that. . .
Now ain't that the truth............... :wink: :roll:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jtclays said:
Mntngoat, Have you ever watched "Dancing With The Stars" or "American Idol, the call backs?" If shot was $70 a bag, it's still gotta be better than that.
Now I will take my own life before I stoop to that. Looking for a reloader now and will try and stock up on as much 7.5 shot as I can get my hands on.

Any suggestions on a loader that can load both 20 and 28 gauge shells or will I need a loader fro each gauge?

Michael

1 - 9 of 9 Posts