Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you's guys think about using my '80 era 1100 with a 30" full choke with steel shot for duck hunting? I have a 2 3/4" barrel in Mod., but can't shoot the larger loads through it.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Call Remington and give them the serial number of the gun and they can tell you if it is okay to run steel shot through it. My guess is that the answer is yes as steel was mandated country wide in the early eighties. But call them to make sure.

It is never a good idea to shoot steel shot larger than 2s though a full choke. And the MOD choke would be a better choice. The 2 ¾ inch shells kill ducks just as dead at reasonable ranges as the 3 inch and 3 ½ inch sells do. I do all of my duck killing with the Winchester Xpert 2 ¾ inch shells with #3 shot. They turn 1550 fps with 1 1/16 ounce of shot and Babe the Wonder Dog has to chase very few cripples.

If it were me, I'd be shooting the MOD barrel with the shell mentioned above.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree. I would hunt with the 2 3/4 mod barrel and be looking for another barrel for the magnum. A better option might be to have about 2-4" cut off and have Remchokes put in. Remington may be able to do that for you. If not, there are numerous 'smiths that can.

Doc T

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Full with steel will give you a very tight pattern or one that is blown. As for damaging it? Who knows. I have a 10 ga. double that is full and full. I have shot steel ( as big a T)out of it w/o issues. Not a blown pattern, just a VERY tight pattern. No damage either. Its a gun that has been passed down to me from my dad so I hate to do anything to it. Needless to say, it makes it out once a year for old times sake.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks for the input! I'm shooting 2 3/4" win. xpert steel #2's at 1500fps 1 1/16 oz. Picked up some 3" #3's 1 3/8 oz and think I will mix them 2- 2 3/4 loads then the 3"er as the back up through the 30" full and see if the full choke helps with the density issue of the 1 1/16 oz light loads 133 pellets. The #3's at 1 3/8 oz are 210 pellets or about 37% more dense.

I'm open to ideas here but, I'm seeing more missed birds and broken wings without kills with the light loads and a mod. choke. Maybe the full choke will help tighten this light load?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Swampwood,

You HAVE to put the pattern on paper to know for sure. EVERY shotgun barrel/shell combination is an unknown until you do. We can give you some general information about barrel/shell results, but it is just that - general.

Get yourself to the range and put some pellets through paper at 40 yards. Mark an 'X' on the paper, or a 1" to 2" spot and aim at it. After shooting at the paper, draw a 30" circle around the pattern with the pattern center (not the 'X' or spot) at the center of the circle. Now you can tell where the pattern is going referenced to your aiming point. How many holes are inside the circle compared to the total number of holes? This is you pattern percentage.

Could a bird inside the circle escape being hit by at least 3 or more pellets? If not, there is nothing wrong with the barrel/shot combination you are using.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks dubob, I have not done that yet on the full choke barrel, but will try to Fri. Just looking for some general opinions on the full choke thing and what it might do to the pattern.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UpDate: Went and patterned (4) different loads today.
1. Win. Dryloks 3" 1 3/8" oz of #3's approx 80% in 30" circle

2. Fed.BlackCloud 3" 1 1/4 oz of #2's approx 83% in circle

3. Win. Expert 2 3/4" 1 1/16 oz #2's about 65% in circle

4. Rem.Express 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #6's (just because I had them) about 55% in circle

I say approx. and about simply because I did not open and count pellets in any of these loads. I used steel standards found at the P R Site to estimate pellet counts.

I noted the Win.2 3/4 #2's for some reason gave me the poorest pattern of all :shock: but it did do better at 30 yrds. I really didn't understand this!

I would have to say the 3"ers gave me very dense patterns at 40 yrds with the Full Choke barrel.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have been using a full choke with steel for quite a while now and my all time favorite load for decoying birds is winchester xpert 3" #2. A couple of years ago I had a spot where I knew they would be very close. So I only took my IC. After a half of a box of shells and nothing but cripples I drove back home got the full went back and got 2 ducks. I now only use full no matter how close they will be.

I never patterned the IC and I found out the hard way.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Swampwood said:
3. Win. Expert 2 3/4" 1 1/16 oz #2's about 65% in circle
Out of those loads, that is the one that should be putting the pellets out the fastest, with a listed muzzle velocity of 1550 fps. Faster often equates to more open patterns, even in hard steel. It is hard but is also light, and the pellets spin every which way when subjected to a 1550 fps wind. That drylok load (heavy load with 3s) should only be leaving the barrel at 1265 fps. The heavy, slow load of 3s has a lot more pellets and keeps the core denser, longer, as your patterns indicate.

From what I remember of that Delta Waterfowl chart, with #3 steel that MV equates to about 30 yards of good penetration range on mallards. (31 yard, I just checked, #422). And the lighter, faster Xpert 2s (#457) have 44 yards of penetration but carry only 132 pellets in total. That gives 86 pellets through your full choke at 40 yards in this instance. Those loads are at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to steel shot.

Steel shot is a compromise in the smaller length shells, and kicks a lot in the roman candles. Those numbers aside, it has to pattern to your liking, as well, and not jam in the gun! Here is the delta article and chart at bottom, in case you have never read it.
http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/magazine/ ... ooting.php

If Remington says it is okay to use that 3" Full Choked barrel, I guess they should know if it is safe.

Jeremiah

·
Registered
66 Posts
i think that was the round I used for the longest time until I bought my extrema. Never had a complaint. I think I was using a modified choke out of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts