Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this probably should have gone in "opinions" section but I figured this was kind of a specialzed gun and wanted to avoid replies like "my papy's got one of them 1100's out in the barn and we killed lods of them skeets with it".
Anyway....I've got a chance to pick up one in really good shape at a decent price. It's an older gun but not been used much. I've been shooting a pump .410 for the last few years and been wanting to get a new .410. Anything special to know about the 1100's in .410?

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
TReX300 said:
Anything special to know about the 1100's in .410?
Yeah, you'll be spending a lot of time picking up all those precious little empties. :lol:

They're great little guns, but because of the nature of the fine-grained powders used in the .410, you'll be cleaning the gun much more often. They leave plenty of crap in the action after as little as 100 firings.

Years ago many of us shot 1100's in all four gauges, and it was a weekly ritual to strip each one down before the next shoot. While it's certainly not necessary to do that with the 12 and 20 gauge 1100's, it's highly recommended with the .410 to ensure flawless function. It's no big deal. You could easily clean all four in about 45 minutes.

Also, they're kind of light and whippy guns. An end cap weight, or some kind of weight inside the mag tube goes a long way toward taming the little beast.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
TReX300 said:
I've got a chance to pick up one in really good shape at a decent price.
Exactly how decent a price -- as in dollars and cents?

If it's a true Skeet variation it should have a fixed Skeet choke designated by SKEET stamped on the barrel, which would be about 25 inches. It should have a vent rib with an ivory bead on the front and a brass one in the middle. It should have nice wood with a sateen resin finish and be stocked for Skeet.

The reason I mention all that is because barrels, forends and stocks can be easily switched on those guns -- and often are.

I bought mine brand new from J. C. Penny's in 1972 for $290.

They're light and whippy, which is no big deal unless you're used to a heavier gun.

I've probably shot at least 50,000 rounds through mine and it has always functioned flawlessly. I wouldn't take anything for it, even though I don't shoot it a lot anymore.

Like all guns with gas-operated recoil systems, you have to take it apart occasionally, clean the ports and inspect the O-ring, which I've never replaced on mine.

At one time the 1100 series was the most popular gun for Skeet and many tournaments have been won with them in all gauges and .410.

It's just a great, fun little gun to shoot.

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
Got a sporting in 410. I don`t shoot it that much but occasionally will have what I call auto day at the skeet range. I`ll drag about three or four auto`s out and shoot it. Its always one I shoot...always. It and the 28 ga are fun to shoot. I clean my guns a lot so thats not been a issue with me. One thing I have noticed. I usually like to bump up me reloads a little(1 bushing size) when shooting the sporting. I seldom have cycling problems but that seemed to eliminate them all together. I wouldn`t really want to buy another....but I`m not selling mine either. :wink:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thirty-odd years ago, I sold a matched pair of 1100's in 28 and .410 to send my first wife home to her mother. I've never missed the little woman, but I wish I'd borrowed the money instead. They had matching serial numbers with just the final letter gauge designation changed. The .410 was my favorite gun of all time. I shot my first .410 50 straight with that gun. I was in the Air Force in Italy at the time and we couldn't get the best reloading components, but if I cleaned the .410 thoroughly each 100 bird event, it functioned flawlessly. If I saw one today, I'd buy it!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Case said:
TReX300 said:
I've got a chance to pick up one in really good shape at a decent price.
Exactly how decent a price -- as in dollars and cents?

If it's a true Skeet variation it should have a fixed Skeet choke designated by SKEET stamped on the barrel, which would be about 25 inches. It should have a vent rib with an ivory bead on the front and a brass one in the middle. It should have nice wood with a sateen resin finish and be stocked for Skeet.

I can get it for about $600 Can. which is approx. $425 US. The barrel on the gun does say "skeet" on the side, is 2 1/2" and has the beads like you mention. I dont remember if it says "skeet" on the reciver or not but it does have some scroll work on it. The wood is very nice on it with the same finish as all the older 1100 Traps have. I would says its a gloss finish but not like the finish on the newer 1100 Sporting or Classic Trap guns. As for if it's stocked for skeet I dont know but I can say that when I put it up to my shoulder everything lines up pefect and when I pull the trigger most of the time the bird breaks. It seems (maybe not :?: ) higher than most 1100 field guns to me but not alot.

Tim

·
Registered
325 Posts
that is a sweet little gun,, I have had the luxery of shooting a few but never owned one myself.

I would have one if the right deal presented itself..

Doug

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
TReX300 said:
I can get it for about $600 Can. which is approx. $425 US.
That's a fair price, Tim, if it's in really good condition.

Here are the values from the latest edition of The Blue Book of Gun Values:

MODEL 1100 SMALL GAUGE SKEET
- 28 ga. or .410 bore, 25 or 26 (disc.) in. VR barrel, 6 1/2-7 1/4 lbs. Mfg. 1969-94.

Condition - Value (USD)

100% - $550
98% - $450
95% - $415
90% - $375
80% - $300
70% - $265
60% - $230

Last MSR was $692

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Mine's an original Skeet grade and I forgot to mention it has a black plastic cap on the bottom of the pistol grip with an inlaid white diamond and is separated from the wood with a white spacer.

And the wood does have a gloss rather than satin finish.

·
Registered
87 Posts
No, I was at San Vito dei Normanni AS outside Brindisi. We shot with the "Elephant Cage" as a background and sometimes we'd have to withhold our shots when the Auto Club was drag racing on the perimeter road.

·
Registered
649 Posts
We use to fly in and out of Brindisi (fuel stop) going from Heidelberg to Sinop, Turkey. As I remember, Brindisi is where one would insert the tube if one were to give Italy an enema.

I was also stationed in Verona and Vicinza in the mid 60's. Wasn't near as bad there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.