Shotgun Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about buying a 1187 I will use it for dove duck and deer but mainly duck. Any of yall got one of these guns and or is there anything I should know about it before I purchased it? :?:

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's a great gun. I like the Premier Light Contour model. Have used them for past 7 to 8 yrs. on high volume shooting in Mexico and Argentina. Soft shooting and very reliable.The only problem is carbon builds up on the magazine tube and if you don't clean it off, the action slows down.Use Hopps #9 and a stiff brush and you can clean it in couple of minutes.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Smart choice! Been shooting everything under the sun with my 11-87 special purpose, and I have about 2,000 rounds through my 11-87 special skeet, withe NO malfunctions! People seem to be lured too these pretty little european guns (marketing,I'll give them that) but they still cannot compete with Remington. Why do you think some of the top shooters (skeet) in the world are still using 1100's and 11-87's in 12 ga. events! and winning!!!!! My 2cents plus the facts! You'll Love it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Remington 11-87 is a fantastic shotgun. Of all the shotguns I own and have own this one is a joy to handle and shoot. Cleaning is a bit of a pain at times cause I like my guns spotless, inside and out. Best purchased last year to date.

·
Premium Member
20,410 Posts
After a suitable break-in period of 300 to 400 shells, run it wet with Breakfree CLP and you should be able to go 300 or more rounds between cleanings. They are actually easier to clean than the Beretta 390/391 IMO, but they won't go as long between cleanings. Keep a spare O-ring on hand and you shouldn't have any problems. With high volume shooting, you may break a few parts (just like with any autoloader), but parts are readily available and cheap and you can install them yourself. It's a good reliable soft recoiling gun that doesn't get the respect it deserves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advice I went and purchased one today only shot it 6 times and I believe I am falling in love :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the 11-87 in 3.5. The gun shoots well but does not function properly with skeet and SC loads. I don't know if it is this particular gun or if this is systemic. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
20,410 Posts
Dawgon, have you shot at least 300 to 400 heavy loads through the gun to break it in? Have you cleaned all the grease and rust preventative out of the action, slide, magazine tube, etc? Have you cleaned the gas ports in the barrel? Have you read the owner's manual on just how light a load the gun is designed to function with? Remember, a 3.5" Magnum is built to shoot heavy loads, and although it may shoot the lighter loads too, there is a limit on HOW light a load it will function with. Keep the gun clean and well oiled on all moving parts with Breakfree CLP.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dawgon said:
I got the 11-87 in 3.5. The gun shoots well but does not function properly with skeet and SC loads. I don't know if it is this particular gun or if this is systemic. Anybody have any ideas?
My wife has a 20 ga. 1187 that gets balky with certain loads. Fortunately, I've convinced her to move up to a 12 ga. Browning Gold that cycles everything I've ever put through it. Besides, I absolutely HATE cleaning the Remington, whereas the Browning is fairly easy to clean.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just bought an 11-87 Premier Left Hand Trap gun. No recoil and handles very well. Found a new field barrel on E-bay with chokes for 52 bucks. Morton in Maryland makes a recoil device that fits in the mag tube, gas operated, it reduces recoil to nothing felt. If you buy the 1100 or 11-87, make sure you buy NU-Lines stainless steel gas piston rings for 20 bucks. They don't break. Good shotgun that will last a life time.
Rob

·
Registered
215 Posts
hi dawgon, i have the 11-87 super mag too . first thing i would like to ask is did you put the adapter ring in ? need it for shooting 2 3/4 in only . the only shells i have shot for hunting was #6 high brass and it cycled fine .the 3 1/2 mags did good too very little recoil, 870 super mag kicks real hard compared to the 11-87 errol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not to hijack a thread, but I have a question regarding the 11-87 Sporting Clays. It is chambered for 2 3/4".
Is it possible to replace the barrel with another so I can hunt using 3" shells?

·
Registered
215 Posts
hi buzz, yes the 11-87 super mag 12 gauge is chambered for 2 3/4, 3 , 3 1/2 inch shells . i think but not positive that the 11-87 comes about anyway you want it i was TOLD MY SOMEONE ELSE that you can get it in about 10 different combinations which would also include different gauges, wood or syntheic.different lenght barrels . hope this helps you . errol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's nice to see so many favorable replies about the 11-87. Just as a precursor to my experience comments, I'm 62 and have been scattergunning for 50 years, most of which included Remington Shotguns. I own a number of Rems still today. Now, as far as the 11-87s are concerned ...

I bought a pair of 12 ga 11-87SPSs for my wife and me 5 years ago for waterfowl. After a few break in rounds of sproting clays and perhaps 25 rounds of patterning using several differnet brands and loads of heavy waterfowl ammo, the two 11-87s were far and away the WORST jamming shotguns I've ever encountered. I do know how to break in a semi. I do know how to clean one properly and with out over-oiling.

Both guns went back to a Remington Auth Serv Center, twice, and THEY could not eliminate the cycling/jamming problem. Remington authorized the original dealer to refund my money in full. I feel very sorry for the poor buggars who ended up with either of those two "Jamomatics."

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
That's pretty odd. An 11-87 should be just about dry in the gas-works when it goes back together. It should also be fed clean ammo.

I had a different experience with our 'range guns' in AK. As cold as it was, with the internal pressure lower, O-ring not as well sealed... the guns still cycled pretty darn reliably. You can have the gas port opened (I think) to let you shoot lighter rounds but you might as well buy a Beretta at that point.

I just did...

So, mixed reactions. Mostly people think the 11-87 is pretty decent in my experience. I certainly have respect for the design. I also think Remington needs to re-work the entire thing and try to improve on the existing article.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First of all, if you can't reach out and touch something with a 3" magnum, you shouldn't be shooting at anything to begin with. Second, The people that do buy the 3 1/2" guns wine about their guns not cycling light 2 3/4" loads on a regular basis! I don't care who responds to this post, that tells me thier Beretta does, your full of s*#!.. Come on guys use your heads here! If you really really need that 3 1/2" to hunt with, fine go ahead and shoot your monster loads, but don't fault that gun because it won't cycle all light 2 3/4" loads the same way. It's not what it's designed to do. If you don't have a problem shooting the light loads out of the 3 1/2" your lucky!
And as far as an 11-87 breaking parts, I have had an 11-87 premier for about 12 years and approx 25,000 rounds through it (yes. 25,000 rounds -it's one of my skeet guns) I've only changed an o-ring twice. This is my personal experience, and if you own one your a lucky person, cause the gun will treat you as well as you treat the gun! Sorry, just had to vent!!!! :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.