Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one shot, or seen the Rem. 332 o/u? How does it compare to the Ruger red label, or the Win. supreme sporting. I have heard that the Rugers are hard on the shoulder, and that the Win. doesn't fit left handers well. I am left handed. I am having a hard time deciding what I want to buy.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Buck,

I've never seen the Remington, but I can help out with the other 2, sort of.

You mention the Supreme Sporting. Will you be shooting clays or hunting?

I have an older Supreme Field, prior to the Select line, that I bought new this year and this gun fits me like a glove. I'm right handed though. The best thing you can do is try one on for size. I don't know if there is any right handed cast off on this gun so I can't help you there. I really like this gun and enjoy shooting it.

I've never shot a 12 gauge Red Label but I had a 20 ***** and I now have a 28 gauge. I've read the same posts about them being hard on the shoulder but that may be an individual thing. I used to load up the 20 gauge with 3" shells for hunting and had no problems. The 20 was an older gun that I was forced to sell a while back do to some hard times but I made up for it since :p The Red Label is a great shotgun in my opinion. If they made a 16 gauge I would be on the way to the store right now.

I bought the above Supreme because I got a great deal that I couldn't pass up. Otherwise I would have bought a new Red Label or a Beretta White Wing that I was looking at.

The best thing to do is actually hold these guns in your hands and formulate your own opinion. If it fits you well buy it. Snap each gun up to your shoulder a few times and buy the one that feels the best.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Just my humble opinion, I've not shot the 332 but I did see one. It had pretty good balance but the thing I did not like about it was the cheap *** stamping (engraving) on the sideplates. Looked like hell.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I've read that the Remington is a pretty good gun... but that was in one of the shooting magazines that never seems to say anything bad about any gun. Remember, they all thought the peerless was great when it came out, and I know 4 guys who sold them or shipped them back to Remington and demanded their money back if they couldn't be repaired properly. I'd give it a year before I'd buy one; haven't seen one for real yet.

The Winchester has started showing up at the club - 2 guys have one; nice guns, but not enough rounds through them yet to tell for sure.

Ruger Red Label - built like a one-ton truck axle. The major complaint I've heard about them is that they are too heavy (12 ga). There are LOTS of them at our club - I don't know of anyone who's had a problem, and I also don't know anyone who complains about the recoil. One of my friends shoots a Beretta 682, and he says it kicks more than the Ruger with the same load.

G

·
Re: Remington 332.

I recently purchased a 332 12 ga. 32" O&U and tried it out. The gun handled well and looked good. It shot as I expected it and the kick seemed acceptable (although I ham not a highly experienced O&U shooter). There is a big BUT, however:

After shooting less than 20 boxes, the second (upper) barrel failed to fire. The problem was that the gun did not always cock, which led to several embarrasing moments. I took it back to the dealer who replicated the problem and sent it back to Remington...who put it in their "normal" repair sequence and, when asked, told us to expect it back in 6-8 weeks! After several calls and e-mails by me and the dealer it was expedited and I got it back yesterday.

Guess what? The problem is still present, although not quite as obvious! The gun will eject the shells, but if you do not break the gun fully/almost forcibly, it will occasionally fail to cock the upper barrel. Looks like I will be turning it in for a repair or refund after hunting season....Dang It!

I suggest you either go with another brand or wait until all the bugs have been worked out. As a lifetime Remington user, this is difficult for me to say, but you need to know...And Remington needs to improve both their product and their customer service.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Question about your problems with the second barrel not firing... Is the second barrel cocked via inertia? About the second day, my 686E was at the clays range, it had a problem with the second barrel not cocking after the first shot. (I noted though, that if I selected it to fire the bottom barrel first, I had no problem.) So, I just selected the bottom barrel first, and finished the round. A gentleman at the club handled it, closed the action and dry fired the upper barrel. The lower barrel didn't cock, so he knocked the butt pad against his thigh (mimicking strong recoil) and proceeded to dry fire the lower barrel. The mechanism to cock the lower barrel required a strong jolt. The light target loads and my then sloppy gun mount couldn't provide this. Anyway, after learning proper gun mount, and a lot of rounds in a long break in period, the problem was solved. It may be that it just needs to be broken in.

Cheers,
Shawn

·
Registered
218 Posts
My opinion-

I own a Supreme Sporting (non-select), and I am left handed. I have shot with MANY Ruger Red Label owners. And I have never even seen the Remington 332 in person. I will refrain from comment on the Remington because I have no basis for an opinion. The other two I have a decent bit of experience with.

The Ruger Red Label- About half of my regular shooting buddies, approx. 30, bought Red Labels nearly six years ago. They all shot them silly. About half of them said they kicked like mules and the other half felt they were very soft shooting. It must just be a matter of gun fit. All of them wore the guns till they were loose! They shot from 10k to 100k rounds through these guns and they loosened up fast. Most of the guys felt they just were not up to the heavy shooting that they do with Sporting clays.

Winchester Supreme Sporting- My non select model. I own one, my brother owns one, the gentleman we bought ours from owns 4 now! I have 9k rounds through it since January. My brother has 5k, and the gentleman has 30k+ through one and 8k through another and I have no idea about the other two. The 30k+ gun is SMOOTH! Opening it is just what you would want a gun to do. It feels tight but opens easily. My gun is getting to that point, it's close but not there yet. None of use have had any functional problems. The gun does NOT fit me. I need the stock bent about 1/16"-1/8". I can compensate by pushing my face into it a bit, but I am going to have it bent. With that said, a Browning fits just about the same for me. A Beretta, well I have no idea why but it doesn't fit ME at all! I have even tried a Browning with left hand wood, and it was off for me. So I would have to get just about any gun modified to fit so it isn't a factor for me. Secondly, my fiance loves the gun and we are picking up her one after the wedding.

If you have any specific questions I would be glad to answer them. And I will try not to be so long winded next time.

G

·
Try Briley Manfacturing listed under Shotgun then under Services on their web site. They list stock bending. Look then give them a call. Nice people to deal with and they sure do good chokes. I would call them and ask about bending and finishing, etc.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
i did remington warranty service for years, DO NOT get a remington 332. the ruger is a fair gun, but does kick. the winchester is actually a belgian made browning and is the best of the 3, but have you considered a browning or beretta? on the clay target field, brownings and berettas are hard to beat. if any factory gun fits you, you are lucky. since you are a lefty, you are probably going to have to get a little stock work. if your choice is limited to the 3 you mentioned, the winchester is the pick of that litter. look up country gentleman stock fitting on the net, he is the nicest fellow you will ever meet, and he knows stock fitting. the big dogs recommend him. my .02.

G

·
Out of those 3 choices---the Winchester is the only one worth considering----and that's if it fits.

The new Rugers are VERY poorly made.

Remingtons are cheesy and poorly finished----take note of the rough ejectors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts