Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kinda embarrassed to even post this but........... I just bought a new Rem 870 HD (my first shotgun ever) and I can't figure out how to disassemble (field strip) the darn thing. I put a Choate pistol grip stock on it and I've got other 'toys' but this has me baffled.

The manual says to unscrew and remove the magazine cap but the HD doesn't have the same style cap as a regular 870 and it sure doesnt' look like it unsrews.

It also looks like the barrel is glued, soldered or welded to the magazine tube............so how would I remove the barrel?

Help!

·
Registered
20,546 Posts
Make absolutely certain the gun is empty of cartridges. Pull the trigger, then slide the forend handle back toward the receiver. You should then be able to clearly see the screw cap that holds the barrel onto the magazine tube. Remove this cap by screwing it counterclockwise. Once the cap is removed, the barrel will slide forward off the receiver. The barrel has an attached ring which goes around the magazine tube just below this nut. Reassemble in reverse order.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help turns out I needed to remove the "thing" near the front of the barrel that ties the barrel to the mag tube and also appears to allow you to mount a sling swivel.

Next question

Do I (and if so how often) disassemble the breech bolt assembly?

Thanks!

·
Registered
20,546 Posts
I don't know what "thing" you are referring to, but if you got it apart OK then I guess that's all that matters.

As for disassembling the breech bolt assembly, I would say "not very often". It all depends on usage, of course. If you use the gun occasionally with only a few boxes of shells shot through it each year, you might never have to disassemble it. OTOH, if you shoot 10,000 shells per year or subject the gun to lots of dirt, weeds, debris, etc, you might need to disassemble it every couple of months.

I would say that for a home defense shotgun that is shot about 50 to 100 rounds per year, I wouldn't bother with taking the bolt assembly apart for at least 5 to 10 years or perhaps longer. Of course, if the guns start jamming, you might want to take it apart to see if the problem is with the bolt, but usually the only thing that breaks in a bolt assembly is the firing pin and that is seldom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.