Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to load up some 1oz 12 ***** loads in gun club hulls. got looking at the claybuster rem TGT 12 wads and the Win WAA12SL. I have both and put them on the bench and could hardly detect any difference in them. Are these two wads interchangeable?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
When it comes to stack height they are real, real close. Any duffences can be handled with minor tweaking of the press. At least in a Remington hull the TGT often takes a tad less (maybe 1/4-1/2 grain) powder to achieve the same perfirmance as the AASL. But again, the differences are pretty minor. I've loaded both wads with 1 ounce in Remingtons with Promo, 700X, and E3.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I think there are some differences between the two in the way the overpower cup is designed. My impression from reviewing the data is the Rem wads generally give lower pressures than the Win wads.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Also, the TGT12 shot cup is for 1 1/8 oz of shot as opposed to the WAA12SL is for 1 oz.

The TGT12 wad works great loading 1 1/8 oz of shot in Rem hulls with dense powders like TiteWad, TiteGroup, and Handicap.

·
Registered
923 Posts
waverider said:
Also, the TGT12 shot cup is for 1 1/8 oz of shot as opposed to the WAA12SL is for 1 oz.
I beg to differ. From the Remington web site:

"The STS hulls use the Figure 8 wads for the 1 1/8 ounce loads and the TGT 12 wad for 1 ounce loads."

The TGT 12 or one of its clones is my go-to wad for 1 oz loads in Remington hulls - works great for me. Also the sturdier crush section of the Figure-8 style holds up better when loading older, crispier hulls.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Pickman said:
waverider said:

"The STS hulls use the Figure 8 wads for the 1 1/8 ounce loads and the TGT 12 wad for 1 ounce loads."

The TGT 12 or one of its clones is my go-to wad for 1 oz loads in Remington hulls - works great for me. Also the sturdier crush section of the Figure-8 style holds up better when loading older, crispier hulls.
The TGT wad can be used with either 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz of shot, depending on the density of the powder. I use the TGT with 1 1/8 oz of shot with Titegroup, a dense powder. The TGT gives a bit taller stack height in that application, which helps keep the crimp from dishing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nebs said:
Pickman said:
waverider said:

The TGT wad can be used with either 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz of shot, depending on the density of the powder. I use the TGT with 1 1/8 oz of shot with Titegroup, a dense powder. The TGT gives a bit taller stack height in that application, which helps keep the crimp from dishing.
It gives a taller stack height due to the fact that it is designed for 1 oz applications.....BUT is great for 1 1/8 with dense powders such as Titegroup or Super Handicap. It is in fact the wad used in Nitro Handicap shells now.

·
Administrator
23,997 Posts
1100 Remington Man said:
Match the wad to the Hull Rem Rem, Win Win. It really is that simple.
No it is not. Adhering to that overly simple rule will get you some combinations that just do not fit properly.
There are heaps of examples that have already been posted here in the reloading section that show the fallacy of your advice.
Sorry to deliver bad news. {hs#

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Curly is 100% correct. Matching wad manufacture to hull manufacturer is many times not the best way to go. Using AA clones is far and away the most used wads in all Remington and AA cases. Yes, some do use the Remington clones, but not in the numbers that use the AA clones.

Getting a good stack height, and the resulting perfect crimps is what it's all about. Wad manufacturer or wad style has very little to do with wad fit and performance in most cases.

DLM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.