Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've narrowed my next purchase down to one of two SG's (I think).
Does anyone have any experience with either SG?
I'm looking for pros and cons and if these SG's are ok
at the range (10-75 yrds) and for shooting skeet?
Note: both have a variation of ghost rings.

(Sorry about the poor pic quality)
Moss is the top one, Rem870 is below.

Thanks, johNTO.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Kinda got both ends of the spectrum there, bro. :D

The 590 you'll be able to walk out of the shop with that day, depending on where you live. The 870 is going to involve paperwork, photos, fingerprints, a CLEO signoff, $200, and a pretty decent wait if it's even legal where you live.

·
Registered
156 Posts
^ good points

They are both different beasts if you ask me. The 870 you picked out is more of a breaching gun, while the Mossy is more of a HD style gun with more of an ammo capacity. If you're looking to shoot skeet the 870 probably wouldn't be the best choice of the two you have shown us. Not that you couldn't shoot skeet with it, but it wouldn't be optimal compared to a full size 870. Not to mention the headache to get a permit and pay the 200 tax for it too.
I would look into a 870 with a 18" bbl with rifle sights...but, that's what I own so I guess I'm a little biased :)
Good luck!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Of the 2, for skeet and anything at range, the Mossberg would be best. Ghostrings make the distance shots easier, and the longer barrel makes shooting clays easier. If one had to pick between the two weapons listed, for the situation you listed, the Mossberg would be the choice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Back in the mid-80's I owned a 30" 870Wingmaster. That SG was so accurate I was getting bored shoot skeet and trap.
The SG's long gone (sold :( ) but I'm enjoying shopping for a new SG for range use. Something about blasting targets with buckshot and slugs..... 8)

I'm liking the short bbl (18" or less) synthetic stock with ghost rings set-up and stuck between the 870 or Moss500. Read the following article which provided a lot of pros and cons:
http://www.tacticalshotgun.ca/conte... me some weird stares at the skeet stations!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
you do realize you can't just buy (or make) a SG with a barrel less than 18 inches, right? that's a federal firearms violation for a "sawed off".

Now if you get the chief of police to sign off that you need one and are of good moral fiber and fill out all the BATF forms, wait a few months and pay for the destructive device tax stamp, then you'll be good to go.

just making sure before we go into two or three pages before we find out what your knowledge/ intentions are.

<ON EDIT> I see you're from Canada...how do they feel about short barreled guns there????

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
showing up to shoot skeet with a (usually) illegal breaching gun will probably get you run off the gun clubs property.

at anyrate, I don't think those guns would be awesome sporting guns as is.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mike100 said:
showing up to shoot skeet with a (usually) illegal breaching gun will probably get you run off the gun clubs property.

That's pretty much what I'm concerned about....

at anyrate, I don't think those guns would be awesome sporting guns as is.

Didn't think short bbls were good for sporting either. I just wanted more challenge.

You're right mike100, Canada has some strange and strict gun laws. I'll have to do my homework but I have heard talk from folks here shooting off 14" bbl SG's. Up here a 14" may be considered a restricted gun.....I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I seem to remember some Canadian forum members in the past who said14" barrels were legal. Maybe on pumps, not semi-auto or something like that.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Since you live in Canada, go for the Remington.

Regardless of what others have said, the U.S. BATF has no authority where you live and their rules don't apply to you.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
When I wrote my response his profile gave no indication that he lived outside of the US. Given that most of our members are from the US it seemed like a reasonable assumption that he, too, lived in the US and would, therefore, be subject to our laws.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it looks like I'll be ordering the Rem870Police 14" bbl with rifle sights, synthetic stock, parkerized.

Question: The 2006 model can be ordered with a modified choke. Does anyone know if slugs can be used with this choke?

·
Registered
920 Posts
johNTO said:
"...Up here a 14" may be considered a restricted gun.....I'm not sure..."
In Canada, 'Non-Restricted' firearms include:

"...single shot or manual repeating rifles and shotguns of any length, as long as they are not designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm (approx. 25.74 inches) by folding, telescoping, or other means..."

If I'm not mistaken, an 870P with a 14" barrel has a total muzzle-to-buttplate length of about 24.5" ...which would make it 'Restricted' and require an 'Authority to Transport' (ATT) permit anytime you moved it from your home. You would also need to store it as you would a handgun in Canada...

...that, and have a 'Possession and Acquisition License' (PAL) that's endorsed for 'Restricted' firearms to make the purchase.

:idea:

·
Registered
451 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, an 870P with a 14" barrel has a total muzzle-to-buttplate length of about 24.5"
Negative, I have a 14" 870 with a shortened stock (12" LOP) and it measures in at around 32".

You made a good choice with the 870. I love those Remington factory rifle sights. Just as fast and accurate as GRS for me.

And yes... the modified choke can be used with slugs.

Remember to post some pics when you get it!!!

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
unit91 said:
If I'm not mistaken, an 870P with a 14" barrel has a total muzzle-to-buttplate length of about 24.5"
Negative, I have a 14" 870 with a shortened stock (12" LOP) and it measures in at around 32".

You made a good choice with the 870. I love those Remington factory rifle sights. Just as fast and accurate as GRS for me.

My full stocked 870P with a 13.00 barrel will measure 33.5 from butt to muzzle.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Banshee said:
unit91 said:

My full stocked 870P with a 13.00 barrel will measure 33.5 from butt to muzzle.
My mistake (and bad math).

:wink:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
unit91 said:

Alright! Since I can use slugs....the 14" with mod choke will be the one I order :D
In Canada this SG is considered a non-restricted with a overall length of 34.5" from muzzle to butt plate. (Terry, your calculator ripped you off 10". Better get rid of it :wink: )

Thanks for the help/info guys.........

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.