Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to Guns and Hunting, however I have been hunting for the last two years in Michigan (Pheasant). The hunting lodge has supplied the gun which is an 11-87 12-gauge. My other buddy who hunts with me always take the 1100 20-gauge. I am now thinking of purchasing a gun. I like the feel of the 1100 20-gauge because it's lighter and less recoil. The 12-gauge gets heavy after a couple of hours in the field. I will mainly shoot skeet, quail and Pheasant with it. Should I go with the 1100 20-gauge, 11-87 20-gauge or the 11-87 12-gauge? My other question is what should I expect to pay for these guns new and how much would I expect to pay for a nice condition second hand one?Thanks,Chris8)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I would go with the 1100 20 gauge, and don't say its just because i'm a woman. Really 2 shots in skeet will be easier on your shoulder, and it is lighter so you can carry it longer in the field.:hat Browning, The Best there is because second best is well...second best.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would take the 11-87 20 ga. I sell several of those for just that reason.. they are light and can be carried in the field for a long time. At Wal-mart, you can get an 11-87 for $599 and that is for either the 12 or the 20 ga. I am sure that you could find some second hand ones for less, but you would really have to look around at your local gun shows for them. Or if you have some gun shops they tend to get second hand guns and at least the ones I go to you can get desent prices. If you wanted to pick up an 1100 you would have to check your wal-mart to see if they carry it, they can special order them for you if you want, but then you pay through the nose.Hope that helped some. "I can raise kids and still kick your *** in clays"

·
Registered
180 Posts
yep Remington 11-87 20 ga Upland is what I used for the last two weeks of Pheasant season here in Michigan. 3" chamber with Hevi-Shot is one tough combo on birds. My 11-87 weights in at slightly over 6.25 lbs. The 1100 is good, the 11-87 is more bang for the buck. I paid under 500 for it from a gun shop, new. Listed at 579.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have a preference for Remington shotguns, but shotguns are so unbelievably cheap this year that I would open up the field for a look see.Right now, at our Wal-Mart a 1187 in 20 ***** is $520. However, after x-mas it will be under $500. When they have the gun, you can get the 1100 in 20 ***** almost all the time for $400 new.However, a person certainly has to look at Browning this year. In our neighborhood, I have seen Browning Gold Classic Field guns for $659, and with the $100 coupon that is $559. Across the US, top Browning models are selling for $709, and with the coupon you pay $609.Perhaps, even more exciting about Browning is the price of used 20 ***** Browning guns, which you can pick-up for $350 one year old. You might consider a 20 ***** pump for field work as they have much less maintenance, and they are a delight to carry. You have Fleet Farm in Michigan, and watch how they move guns around from store to store, and discount them with each move. I have seen some remarkable buys at Fleet Farm.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i own a 20 gauge 1100 i like it but don't buy one. make sure that you buy the 11-87 20 gauge. the 1100 is not chambered for 3" shells. this is a real nice have especially for pheasants. you can find older 1100 that do shoot the 3's but make sure if you buy a new gun that it is chambered for 3 inch shells

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.