Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By looking at Remington's website it appears that the 11-87 is only offered in black/synthetic.

Does anyone know if they still offer it in wood and blue steel?

Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
When I heard that happened, I bought 3 NIB 20 gauges. Still sitting on them. I hate to see that all they want to sell in synthetic or high priced wood models. They are great guns.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Few are willing to pay for quality wood and blued steel anymore... the labor involved in making them drives the price way up... it's cheaper (and better profit) to make the synthetic stocks and spray on metal finishes.

When (if?) Americans ever wake up and realize that you have to pay for quality, the American manufacturing sector will respond.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
drsfmd said:
When (if?) Americans ever wake up and realize that you have to pay for quality, the American manufacturing sector will respond.
I suppose so D.
But how does Mossberg and others still make traditional blued & walnut shotgun models successfully? Especially the 930 (USA), which is a very nice looking semi with blued steel and nicely finished black walnut for much less money. The 930 also appears to be a very reliable shooter as well from what I've seen.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
drsfmd said:
Few are willing to pay for quality wood and blued steel anymore... the labor involved in making them drives the price way up... it's cheaper (and better profit) to make the synthetic stocks and spray on metal finishes.

Yes, I wondered if this is due to the averager purchaser "voting with their wallet".

I see more than a few posts on this forum that go something like, "I am not payiing THAT :shock: for a new Wingmaster".

Yet, if you plug todays price and year and the "good old days" price and year into an on line inflation calculator, today's price is on par with general inflation. However, people remember, something like I do when I bought a new 870TB Trap for $309.00. That was 33 years ago, one cannot expect the price of these guns to stay static over that time period.

More than ever before, the average buyer is very bottom line driven and will not pay the price for more refined metal finishing and checkered wood. Some of us still will but apparently not enough.

As for the G3, it is not currently offered for 2009, according to the notation on its page on the Remington web site.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
jds said:
drsfmd said:
I suppose so D.
But how does Mossberg and others still make traditional blued & walnut shotgun models successfully? Especially the 930 (USA), which is a very nice looking semi with blued steel and nicely finished black walnut for much less money. The 930 also appears to be a very reliable shooter as well from what I've seen.
Lesser bluing and poor quality wood.

Those stump wood blanks are expensive. All of the hand polishing to get a mirror blued finish that you can see your reflection in is even more expensive...

The 930 is a fine gun, but it's not up to the standard of the Remingtons (and costs a whole lot less).

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Claydust said:
Yet, if you plug todays price and year and the "good old days" price and year into an on line inflation calculator, today's price is on par with general inflation. However, people remember, something like I do when I bought a new 870TB Trap for $309.00. That was 33 years ago, one cannot expect the price of these guns to stay static over that time period.
So true... I see a lot of "I'm not buying ammo anymore... I used to pay 2.10 a box back in the 60's". That may be true, but you were also making $1.65 an hour... adjusted for inflation, until the current run on ammo, it's never been less expensive...

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Taken from one of my posts on another thread, here's an example;

Perceptions change, I also read "I'm not paying $1,000.00 for an 870 or 1100", refering to the 870CT or 1100CT. Like me, they probably remember buying and 870TB for $309.00; but that was 1976.

If you plug $309.00 and 1976 into this inflation calculator;

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/inflation_calc.html

You get $1132.00, the 870CT lists at $1,135.00 at Gobels in London, Ontario, today

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I don't know how this plays out elsewhere but around these parts I see some pretty fair wood furniture in shops for sale as used that are take offs for people switching to the syn. stuff. I saw a week or so ago some 1100 wood with just small dings and dirt for $85 :) with a Pachmayr White Line already fitted to bolt on and go. I would have grabbed it up but they seem to be more plentiful than my cash is right now. :roll:

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
"I have no use for looks on a hunting gun" ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

How about looks on your wife! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your truck? :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
14,693 Posts
After reading all the "I want the best O/U under $500" and "I want a really good all around semi under $300" posts I must say I am not the least surprised at this development. Production of the G3 has apparently been stopped for some time, but places like Bud's still have quite a few in stock. The rock bottom 870s go out of stock and get replenished frequently. At least once a day someone is looking for a Wally World Beretta, but rarely is anyone looking for wood and blued steel there either.

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Lives with honor,

What condition are your wood stocks. I have a Premier 11-87 that was made around then that has synthetic furniture. I'd be willing to trade. Send me a PM.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looks on a woman are a totally different thing! I don't take my wife hunting, or drag her into duck blinds, or into muddy dove fields. Now, my truck on the other hand, I don't much care how it looks either. I guess it comes down to a utilitarian mindset. Now, if I had a nice over/under, I'd probably be much more concerned with things like wood quality and finish, but all of the guns I own thus far are for a specific purpose, and that's hunting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.