Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Few are willing to pay for quality wood and blued steel anymore... the labor involved in making them drives the price way up... it's cheaper (and better profit) to make the synthetic stocks and spray on metal finishes.

When (if?) Americans ever wake up and realize that you have to pay for quality, the American manufacturing sector will respond.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
jds said:
drsfmd said:
When (if?) Americans ever wake up and realize that you have to pay for quality, the American manufacturing sector will respond.
I suppose so D.
But how does Mossberg and others still make traditional blued & walnut shotgun models successfully? Especially the 930 (USA), which is a very nice looking semi with blued steel and nicely finished black walnut for much less money. The 930 also appears to be a very reliable shooter as well from what I've seen.
Lesser bluing and poor quality wood.

Those stump wood blanks are expensive. All of the hand polishing to get a mirror blued finish that you can see your reflection in is even more expensive...

The 930 is a fine gun, but it's not up to the standard of the Remingtons (and costs a whole lot less).

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Claydust said:
Yet, if you plug todays price and year and the "good old days" price and year into an on line inflation calculator, today's price is on par with general inflation. However, people remember, something like I do when I bought a new 870TB Trap for $309.00. That was 33 years ago, one cannot expect the price of these guns to stay static over that time period.
So true... I see a lot of "I'm not buying ammo anymore... I used to pay 2.10 a box back in the 60's". That may be true, but you were also making $1.65 an hour... adjusted for inflation, until the current run on ammo, it's never been less expensive...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.