Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
drsfmd said:
Few are willing to pay for quality wood and blued steel anymore... the labor involved in making them drives the price way up... it's cheaper (and better profit) to make the synthetic stocks and spray on metal finishes.

When (if?) Americans ever wake up and realize that you have to pay for quality, the American manufacturing sector will respond.
Yes, I wondered if this is due to the averager purchaser "voting with their wallet".

I see more than a few posts on this forum that go something like, "I am not payiing THAT :shock: for a new Wingmaster".

Yet, if you plug todays price and year and the "good old days" price and year into an on line inflation calculator, today's price is on par with general inflation. However, people remember, something like I do when I bought a new 870TB Trap for $309.00. That was 33 years ago, one cannot expect the price of these guns to stay static over that time period.

More than ever before, the average buyer is very bottom line driven and will not pay the price for more refined metal finishing and checkered wood. Some of us still will but apparently not enough.

As for the G3, it is not currently offered for 2009, according to the notation on its page on the Remington web site.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Taken from one of my posts on another thread, here's an example;

Perceptions change, I also read "I'm not paying $1,000.00 for an 870 or 1100", refering to the 870CT or 1100CT. Like me, they probably remember buying and 870TB for $309.00; but that was 1976.

If you plug $309.00 and 1976 into this inflation calculator;

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/inflation_calc.html

You get $1132.00, the 870CT lists at $1,135.00 at Gobels in London, Ontario, today

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.