Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 11-87 cantileever deer gun. I wanted to get some feedback about what people have had luck with shooting through it. Has anyone tried the new Hornady SST's, or the Partition Gold, or Lightfield Hybrids, or any other you have found to shoot accurate and far. I know I'll have to test myself, but at 10-15 a box it gets expensive.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Winchester BRI sabots give me ragged one-hole groups at 50 yards and @ 3 inches at 100. Lightfields come in a close second. Worst performers: Remington copper solids string vertically 9 inches at 50 yards, and Brennekes are all over the map. I'm shooting through fully-rifled Mossberg 24-inch barrels, both on my Wingmaster and on an SSi-One slug gun.

But you're right: there's no substitute for seeing what your gun likes. BTW, you should be able to find slugs for < $10/box, especially now that the season is over. I pay @ $7/box for the BRIs; about $9 for the Lightfields.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Bonasa: This is too funny. In my guns, a Rem 870 and an Ithaca Deerslayer II I get exactly the opposite results. Copper solids and Hornady slugs shoot the best in both, Lightfields shoot almost as well. The BRI type are so so in mine. I haven't tried the Brennekes in my gun as I have no need to as long as the Rem and Hornady continue to shoot well. As we all know, no one can predict what will work in someone elses gun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts