Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1100 20ga lt 3"magnum fixed full choke 30" barrel. I was under the impression that it could be tapped for rem chokes which I've been told isn't possible. I'm wondering if anyone is out there who has a factory rem choked magnum barrel? Just trying to complete my grandfathers gun again.
Tire Automotive tire Wood Tread Gas

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You cannot get it fitted with Rem-chokes but that does not mean it can not be fitted with other chokes. Did you check with Mike Orlen from the Gunsmithing forum? I have seen factory 1100 fixed choke barrels fitted with Colonial chokes.

One other option is to have the fixed choke opened up.

Reactions: oyeme

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already have a 2 3/4 rem choked barrel and a bunch of rem chokes for the gun. I just hate to have more chokes and to ruin a barrel that someone else would like to have vs find a factory rem choked.

·
Registered
9,826 Posts
I have an early 20ga 870 special field that has Truchokes installed.
You cannot get it fitted with Rem-chokes but that does not mean it can not be fitted with other chokes. Did you check with Mike Orlen from the Gunsmithing forum? I have seen factory 1100 fixed choke barrels fitted with Colonial chokes.

One other option is to have the fixed choke opened up.

·
Registered
14,688 Posts
I have an LT 20 Magnum. I was under the impression 28" was the longest factory barrel available. I have the original 28", 3" barrel, and a 28", 2-3/4" chambered barrel. Both originally choked full, and both have been fitted with Colonial choke tubes. RemChokes cannot be fitted to factory fixed choke barrels in most cases because of the diameter. If you want RemChokes you better pony up the bucks and get a factory RemChoked barrel. They are out there in 2-3/4", but much rarer in 3" because they quit making the LT20 Magnum in favor of the 11-87.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have an LT 20 Magnum. I was under the impression 28" was the longest factory barrel available. I have the original 28", 3" barrel, and a 28", 2-3/4" chambered barrel. Both originally choked full, and both have been fitted with Colonial choke tubes. RemChokes cannot be fitted to factory fixed choke barrels in most cases because of the diameter. If you want RemChokes you better pony up the bucks and get a factory RemChoked barrel. They are out there in 2-3/4", but much rarer in 3" because they quit making the LT20 Magnum in favor of the 11-87.
Virginian, Not to hi-jack this thread, but what year did Remington start putting Rem-chokes in all their guns? I thought you might know if anyone would? I thought it was sometime in the late 80's based on when I bought a choke tube gun for shooting steel shot.

The Remington LT 20 ga 1100's I have seen that were fitted with chokes all had Colonial choke tubes that are .675 x 44 Double Lead Thread. They worked great. I have never seen a 30" barrel on a LT 20 ga 1100 either. The 28" barrels did not have to be shortened to install the Colonial chokes.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have basically what your photo shows also. Bought the gun used at Cabelas a few years ago. It came as issued with a 28" Full choke barrel. Being somewhat of a Remington fan for field guns I was shocked that I missed the fact that there were two ports in the gas ring. Cleaning out the ports I noticed that one had been drilled, tapped for a small Allen head plug, and counterbored. It was very professionally done and now allows me to fire and the gun will function using magnum or target loads making it much more versatile. As to the Rem Choke issue; I can appreciate your wanting to keep the gun as issued but firing steel shot will not be doing any future owner a favor, nor the barrrel. I had Carlson's install steel shot compatible choke tubes and as usual its very well done. I feel whomever ends up with this gun in the long, distant future will be happy seeing what these mods have allowed him in shooting such a great little gun. FWIW

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased a 1100 20ga lt 3"magnum fixed full choke 30" barrel. I was under the impression that it could be tapped for rem chokes which I've been told isn't possible. I'm wondering if anyone is out there who has a factory rem choked magnum barrel? Just trying to complete my grandfathers gun again. View attachment 50639
the factory barrel are really hard to find, i tried looking for one but never got any around here
end up selling to a random guy

·
Registered
14,688 Posts
RemChokes appeared in 20 gauge in 1988. The ONLY 20 gauge RemChoke 3" chambered 1100 barrel Remington ever made was Part #9597, 28". They stopped making 3" 20 ga 1100s sometime in the 2006 range, and the 11-87 20 ga appeared in 2008.

·
Registered
14,688 Posts
I have basically what your photo shows also. Bought the gun used at Cabelas a few years ago. It came as issued with a 28" Full choke barrel. Being somewhat of a Remington fan for field guns I was shocked that I missed the fact that there were two ports in the gas ring. Cleaning out the ports I noticed that one had been drilled, tapped for a small Allen head plug, and counterbored. It was very professionally done and now allows me to fire and the gun will function using magnum or target loads making it much more versatile. As to the Rem Choke issue; I can appreciate your wanting to keep the gun as issued but firing steel shot will not be doing any future owner a favor, nor the barrrel. I had Carlson's install steel shot compatible choke tubes and as usual its very well done. I feel whomever ends up with this gun in the long, distant future will be happy seeing what these mods have allowed him in shooting such a great little gun. FWIW
Gander Mountain gunsmiths used to make that modification. Just don;t shoot heavy loads with two open ports.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts