Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a REM 1100 Competition 12 ***** shotgun for Trap Shooting - it has the adjustable comb option. First question is how do you adjust the comb tighten/losen(bought the gun used)? Then how do I adjust he comb properly for trap shooting?? Any help appreciated as I am fairly new to trap shooting.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Dan....nice trapgun. To properly set up the comb for your physical size and style is detailed. A good place to start is to set the comb allowing you to look straight down the rib with a figure 8 perception of the beads. Stack the mid bead at the bottom of the front bead. Mount the gun with your eyes closed to a comfortable position and open your eyes to note the visual alignment. After you get the comb set up horizontally and vertically, bench shoot the gun on paper at 13 yards. Keep this pattern for future reference only after the patterns are shooting horizontally aligned and a little high (1 or 2 inches high from the center of the aim dot) From this point you know where the gun is shooting and can judge by how many targets your breaking, only a vertical adjustment is needed to get you on target center.

There is about 2 or 3 chapters to be learned from this point. We can review other issues latter, or you can purchase Rollin Oswald's book here on line to address fit and form issues. Phil Kiners or other All American clinicians video to watch how it should be done. If you study good info and take this trapshooting one step at a time. Your learning curve will be 10 years shorter than most of us.

FYI: The comb has 2 allen screws on the right side (right handed) of the comb. Loosen to pull the comb off, or be able adjust the height. Note the vertical posts carring the comb is able to be loosened and moved left or right to set the horizontal POI. Most shooters will use washers over the posts to set the hieght and for the adjustment to remain consistant. Remember, your dominate eye looking down the rib is the back sight. Setting up the POI (point of impact) on the gun is just like adjusting an iron rifle sight.

Maltzie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts