Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks...new to the forum. Just dropped in to ask a question...maybe 2. Here goes....

My wife recently inherited a pile of old guns from her father who passed away last November 05.

One of the guns seems kinda unique to me. It's a Remington .16 Ga. and it has Browning Patent written on the side of it. I don't have a Remington Model No. Tried to get my wife to find it for me today via a telephone call but she couldn't find it. It says "Remington and Sportsman" on it and it has some embossing of maybe a duck or deer or something on the side of it. Is there anything unique about this gun? It has what some have described as the "hump back" design of a Browning, and some have said it was just like a "sweet 16". I've heard the term all of my life, but never actually seen one so I can't confirm.

Another gun (sorry to be long winded) is a black powder gun. Not sure of the calibre but it's a double barrell. Over and Under and it has a single hammer. You fire the top barrel, then rotate the barrel and fire again. Both barrells are identical just stacked on top of each other and both of them are loaded and would have primers installed and set up to fire. Forgive me....I'm not much of a gun enthusiast...I've just sort of stumbled on to these. I have shot this muzzle loader before once when my father-in-law returned from hunting, he had me fire both barrells to empty the gun.

There were 4 pistols in the lot as well. 3 of them were .22 cal revolvers. A Dirty Harry version in S&W. A pearl handle with only the words .22 LR and "Germany" written on it. And there is a Colt revolver (single action) with black plastic handles. Odd thing about it is the barrell is blued steel while the chamber and the rest of the gun appears to be either stainless steel or nickel or possibly but doubtfully aluminum. However it looks most like aluminum. I just doubted they'd make a gun out of aluminum.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated....so thanks in advance.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Your Remington 16 ga. is the model 11 Sportsman. The Sportsman name means it is a 3 shot version of the regular model 11 which is 5 shot. The 16 ga. Sportsman was made from 1931 to 1948. There were 49,173 made. It is probably worth a couple of hundred dollars. Give me the serial number and I can give you the date of manufacture.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.