1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gun:
- 1976 Remington 3200 skeet, started life with 26" skeet barrels

- I purchased the gun 4 years ago and had Liab's do the following:
Blued receiver, new trigger springs & followers, their excelent reciever face hardening, new firing pins, stock rebedded, new recoil pad, the forearm bedded, new 30" barrels, the action was fully inspected. The gun already had the right upgrades in place. I removed the safety/selector switch and replaced the bead with a high viz site. Sounds like a lot but the gun is 32 years old. The point is, this gun has been taken care of and i' given much pleasure back in exchange.

- The problem and reason for this post. The trigger is starting to miss, or not work, I'm not sure what to call it. Two weeks in a row his has happened, now twice in 100 rounds. Everything feels right with the gun, but when the trigger is pulled on the first shot or the bottom barrel it just goes, Piinnnng without droping the hammer. It feels like the selector is not fully engaging the bottom sear and is slipping by. Is this likely to be a simple adjustment or is somehting wearing out that needs gunsmith attention? I'd like to get your thoughts on this problem before I stick a screw driver in my nice new pad and pull the stock off. Could be as simple as needing to put the selector back on and exercising the selector mechanism?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I would call Laib's and see what they say. I have owned several 3200 over the last few years. I gave up on them becasue of all the issues. I was just thinking about getting one for a good price and having Laib's fo the works to it. They are beautiful shotguns.

Doug

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I could call Liab's, yet again and I'm sure they will tell me to send it in, yet again. With all the work and returns for follow-up service the gun's got more miles on it than I've traveled myself in the past ten years. There's got to be more than one 3200 mechanic out there. I remember when you could get any part imaginable for a 3200 at a major shoot.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to confess to being a little disappointed with this. While this is supposed to be a gunsmith forum, it appears that the only advice given for most any 3200 question is to call Liab's. An easy expedient safe answer to say the least. I shouldn't complain, I just expected a little more not a lot more though.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
MJM-- no one can help you because Laib's has all the parts... I don't think a suggestion that directs you to the uncontested king of gunsmithing on 3200's is bad advice! What more do you want?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There used to be hundreds if not thousands of gunsmiths that worked on 3200's and I know there were thousands of people who used them over the years. In the very beginning of this thread I wrote about my use of Liab's, Written to show that I already know all about Liab's, I've spent plenty of money with them, but that was for truly specialized 3200 work. Somebody in this worl must have had experience with this very same problem, I was hoping that one of them would step up and give me a clue as to where the problem lies. Is it something simple like a dirty selector, or is there an adjustment of some sort, or is the only solution to the problem a part replacement. That is the true power of a forum like this, lots of people with lots of experience. It's clear that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and stick a screw driver in my nice new super soft recoil pad to remove it and the stock. It's my hope that I can stumble on the problem and fix it without spending time and money to return the gun and deal with the inevitable return to have it done right a second time.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
mjm 3200 said:
There used to be hundreds if not thousands of gunsmiths that worked on 3200's and I know there were thousands of people who used them over the years.
Most of those gunsmiths are dead, retired, or no longer working on 3200's. They *HAVE* been out of production for more than 25 years. Most of the shooters who were shooting them have retired them for better and newer guns. Mine makes it out of the safe once or twice a year...

Laib's is the last man standing...

·
Registered
903 Posts
I do sometimes work on shotguns that have no parts available in the typical parts supply houses, and sometimes will order parts from sole suppliers, as well.

I just got in a special selector switch for a 3200 missing the lever, and do many rebuilds on classic and obsolete guns with no likely supply, at all, since shooters seem to want to keep using old guns, like old Model-T drivers want their vehicles to continue to make the circuit- even if it only on a sunny Sunday.

If you want some input, realize that the problem that you have is almost certainly going to be related to funk/lube that is gumming the system, and/or some minor burrs have developed that use the aforementioned crud as the straw on the camel's ...

I am here if you need me, or do the best you can elsewhere in your endeavors.

[email protected]

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for that answer. It was my hope that this was likely to be a bit of a cleaning issue rather that some sort of reoccurring mechanical bug that I haven' hard of before. The gun shouldn't be very cruddy on the inside due to fairly recent inspection and parts replacement. I'm not a heavy shooter, but a couple thousand rounds a year builds up. Now if your answer was something along the lines of, "Yeah, I've seen that before and it's a constant problem." I would have also learned something. Naturally, Liab's is the place to go to for parts and I will keep going there, but right now sending the gun in for something that very likely is a minor adjustment problem is simply not happening.

Drsfmd - 25 years is not that long in the life of a firearm. We have quite a number of 3200's still going strong at the club so they aren't exactly boat anchors yet. The simple fact of the matter is, this is the gun I have and this is the only gun I can afford right now. She's old, she gets the job done and she's not done yet.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
mjm 3200 said:
We have quite a number of 3200's still going strong at the club so they aren't exactly boat anchors yet.
I only know of one guy in my area who still shoots one regularly... they have become an uncommon sight at our clubs, despite the fact that almost everyone owns one and Remington isn't all that far from us. We've actually got some of the nicest wood on our local guns that I've seen. I'm told many of the old Remington employees would take the nicest pieces of wood and sell them locally, which might explain it...

·
Registered
186 Posts
like it or not, 3200's are gaining a resurgence in popularity most likely due to their kinship to K-32's. We will see more and more as old timers let go of their "boat anchors".
clean the sears and put your selector switch back on and your problem will go away. pm me and ill explain further.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
davel583 said:
most likely due to their kinship to K-32's.
Ummm... you do know that the only thing they share in common is the style of the lockup mechanism right? There's not a single part on the 3200 that will fit a K-32. Study up on your gun history before you make definitive statements like that...

Remington sold off the rights to the original M-32 in the 50s... biggest mistake they ever made! The 3200 was a poor attempt at a knockoff that looked something like the M-32 without getting into infringement lawsuits.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Customstox said:
He did not say the parts were a swap back and forth, he only mentioned the "kinship" which they have if not in name only. You might read more carefully before you fly off the handle at someone. He does sound like he knows how to solve the problem.
There's as much kinship between the K-32 and the 3200 as their is between the M-32 and the Remington Spartan. No ifs ands or buts, he was comparing the Krieghoff to the Remington, which is an erroneous, and completely inaccurate kinship.

I wasn't "flying off the handle", but this notion of the 32 (and K-80 for that matter) and 3200 somehow being related keeps coming up again and again... mostly from the well meaning but ignorant who repeat what they heard from some ignoramus at their gun club.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The man was trying to say that people who can't afford a k gun like the 32000 because it. Looks a lot or it has a kinship to the k gun. Maybe u should read before u insult the man's intelligence! He has personally don quite a bit of work on my guns. His work was always flawless and his knowledge is NOT lacking.

·
Registered
186 Posts
[/quote]I wasn't "flying off the handle", but this notion of the 32 (and K-80 for that matter) and 3200 somehow being related keeps coming up again and again... mostly from the well meaning but ignorant who repeat what they heard from some ignoramus at their gun club.[/quote]

PM me. I'll give you my phone number and we can discuss ignorance in private so readers need not get confused who is ignorant.

This forum is for gunsmithing and restoration not chest pounding, pride induced history lessons.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.